“Clients are facing increasingly complex challenges. My goal is to cut through the extraneous and litigate to a successful, cost effective solution .”
Clients rely on Steve Knox for his breadth of experience litigating complex matters involving business, employment, environmental, construction or professional malpractice. He is a seasoned trial attorney with significant experience in federal and state trial and appellate courts.
Regulated medical waste, breach of contract, antitrust, employment disputes, environmental claims and cyber attacks represent the variety of cases that Steve has handled. He often uses his experience as an Assistant Prosecutor and Special Deputy Attorney General in the Essex County Prosecutors Office to prepare clients for civil and criminal proceedings. It is this unique blend of experience that has earned Steve recognition as a New Jersey Super Lawyer for the last number of years.
Steve was recently called in by a leading communications company that had been the victim of a cyber security breach. He helped executives respond to government and defense subpoenas and prepared witnesses for testimony at the criminal trial of the hacker. Companies often turn to Steve when they become targets or witnesses in environmental prosecutions or grand jury investigations.
In addition to his litigation practice, Steve is frequently appointed by the courts to mediate a variety of cases involving business litigation and commercial disputes such as breach of contract, wrongful termination, construction contracts and purchase and sale agreements.
Outside of his practice, Steve is an active member in the bar associations of New York and New Jersey. He also maintains affiliations with the Wesleyan Lawyers Association and the American Bar Association. For almost a decade, Steve has been a member of the Montclair Civil Rights Commission and served as Chairman in 2012 and 2013. The Commission focuses on issues of education, police-community relations and affirmative action in hiring, purchasing and housing. Steve is also a member of the Montclair chapter of the NAACP.
- Vanalt Elec. Constr., Inc. v. Selco Mfg. Corp., 2008 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 546 (Award of Prejudgment Interest)
- Vanalt Elec. Constr., Inc. v. Selco Mfg. Corp., 233 Fed. Appx. 105; 2007 U.S. App. LEXIS 10881 (3rd Cir. 2007). (Breach of Warranty)
- Vanalt Elec. Constr., Inc. v. Selco Mfg. Corp., 2005 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 33151. (Amendment of Judgment)
- In re Spina, 121 N.J. 378; 580 A.2d 262, 1990 LEXIS 180. (Professional Ethics)
- Sutton v. Lienau, 225 N.J. Super. 293; 542 A.2d 473; 1988 N.J. Super. LEXIS 107. (Breach of Lease with Option to Purchase)
- Ryan v. Burlington County, 674 F. Supp. 464; 1987 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 10959 (D.N.J. 1987). (Summary Judgment in Civil Rights Action)
- Lucas v. Gulf & Western Industries, 666 F.2d 800; 1981 U.S. App. LEXIS 15573 (3rd Cir. 1981). (Breach of Real Estate Broker Agreement)
- State v. Snow, 77 N.J. 459; 391 A.2d 478; 1978 N.J. LEXIS 230. (Illegal Gambling)
- State v. Barbossa, 75 N.J. 517; 384 A.2d 497; 1978 N.J. LEXIS. (Embezzlement)
News & Publications
- March 15, 201722 Bressler Attorneys Recognized by New Jersey Super Lawyers
Bressler, Amery & Ross, P.C. is pleased to announce that 13 firm attorneys have been selected to the 2017 New Jersey Super Lawyers list and 9 attorneys were selected… Read more
- March 11, 201623 Bressler Attorneys Recognized by New Jersey Super Lawyers
Bressler, Amery & Ross, P.C. is pleased to announce that 13 firm attorneys have been selected to the 2016 New Jersey Super Lawyers list and 10 attorneys were selecte… Read more
- March 16, 201520 Bressler Attorneys Recognized by New Jersey Super Lawyers
Bressler, Amery & Ross, P.C. is pleased to announce that 11 firm attorneys have been selected to the 2015 New Jersey Super Lawyers list and 9 attorneys were selected… Read more
- March 28, 2014Steve Knox Remembers the Honorable June Strelecki
On March 20, 2014, at The Essex County Bar Foundation's Seventh Annual Memorial Service, Steve Knox shared his stories of working with the Honorable June Strelecki… Read more
- March 17, 2014Bressler, Amery & Ross Attorneys Named To The 2014 New Jersey Super Lawyer List
Bressler, Amery & Ross, P.C. is pleased to announce that twelve Firm attorneys have been named to the 2014 New Jersey Super Lawyer List. Each year, Thomson Reuters p… Read more
- September 9, 2013Nine Bressler, Amery & Ross Attorneys Listed in 2013 Super Lawyers Business Edition
Bressler, Amery & Ross, P.C. is pleased to announce that nine Firm attorneys have been included in the 2013 Super Lawyers Business Edition. Super Lawyers Business E… Read more
- March 28, 2013Bressler, Amery & Ross Attorneys Named to the 2013 New Jersey Super Lawyer List
Bressler, Amery & Ross, P.C. is pleased to announce that eleven Firm attorneys have been named to the 2013 New Jersey Super Lawyer List. Each year, Thomson Reuters p… Read more
- August 24, 2012In The Height Of Home Improvement Season, Contractors And Homeowners Alike Should Be Familiar With New Jersey’s Home Improvement Contractor Laws. On July 23, 2012, the New Jersey Division of Consumer
- August 24, 2012The Attorney-Client Privilege And Independent Contractors: Conflict Within The Third Circuit? The Third Circuit has yet to address the standard for determining whether the attorney-client privilege at
- March 23, 2012Eleven Bressler, Amery & Ross Attorneys Named to the 2012 New Jersey Super Lawyer List
Bressler, Amery & Ross, P.C. is pleased to announce that eleven Firm attorneys have been named to the 2012 New Jersey Super Lawyer list. Each year, Thomson Reuters … Read more
- February 21, 2012New Jersey and U.S. Supreme Courts Still Disagree About Enhancement of Attorney’s Fee Awards. Contingency enhancements are alive and well in New Jersey. The state Supreme Court has rejected a recent c
- September 27, 2011Just The Facts: A Refresher On Federal Pleading Standards In New Jersey Consumer Fraud Act Cases. By now, you would think that those pursuing claims in federal court would be well aware of the pleadin
- June 6, 2011"Classic Quid Pro Quo": A Foreign Corporation Transacting Business in New Jersey Cannot Take Advantage of the State’s Courts, Absent a Certificate of Authority.
- June 1, 2011Member Perspective: Do You Advertise Online? Consumer Fraud Act Applies to Online Advertising
Do you advertise online? The New Jersey Supreme Court has issued a reminder to businesses that online advertisements are subject to the New Jersey Consumer Fraud Act… Read more
- March 30, 2011Caveat Venditor - In New Jersey, It's Seller Beware When Displaying Manufacturer Warranties; Employees Must Qualify Representations To Customers As Estimates - If Not Employers Face Potential Consumer
- October 14, 2010Proceed Without Counsel At Your Own Risk: Settlement Agreement Held Valid Despite Execution By Unrepresented Party; On The Strength Of "A Bottle Of Broken Promises:" The New Jersey Supreme Court Has R
- August 25, 2010Massachusetts Restricts Use Of Criminal Convictions On Applications
- June 30, 2010Courts Issue Decisions On Several Important Arbitrations
- May 19, 2010Contractors Take Notice: EPA Issues Lead Paint Regulations with Stringent Requirements for Renovations
- April 21, 2010Three Bressler, Amery & Ross Attorneys Named to the 2010 Corporate Counsel Super Lawyer List
Bressler, Amery & Ross, P.C. is pleased to announce that three Firm attorneys have been included in the 2010 Corporate Counsel Super Lawyer list. Each year, Law & Po… Read more
- April 19, 2010Employee Privacy and Computers: The Good News and Not-So-Bad News in New Jersey
- March 22, 2010United States Supreme Court Holds That Corporate "Nerve Center" Dictates Federal Jurisdiction. In Hertz Corp. v. Friend, the United States Supreme Court unanimously held that a corporation’s “nerve ce
- January 7, 2010Reasonableness Is A Critical Factor In Evaluating An Award Of Attorneys’ Fees