“My varied and extensive in-house experience has positioned me to better serve my clients, as I understand first-hand the institutional obstacles they face on a daily basis and, importantly, what they expect from their outside counsel.”
Karl Marquardt is a Principal in the firm’s Securities Litigation and Regulation practice. His clients include Citi Personal Wealth Management, UBS Financial Services, Fidelity Investments, Morgan Stanley and Edward Jones. He is called upon to handle complex regulatory inquiries, internal investigations, unclaimed property audits and client litigation matters, and to provide risk and compliance counseling.
Formerly with Morgan Stanley, Karl has served in several different in-house roles. Most recently, Karl held a senior role in the firm’s National Business Risk unit, where he managed the broker-dealer’s Utah based Central Review Unit, its Chennai, India based e-mail review function, and was the Risk Department’s project manager responsible for developing account review alerts used by the field to supervise retail accounts.
Prior to his position in Risk, Karl served as an attorney in Morgan Stanley’s Client Litigation unit, where he represented the firm and its registered representatives in retail based regulatory and client litigation matters. Karl also served as an attorney in the Morgan Stanley U.S. Litigation unit, where he focused on representing the firm in regulatory matters before the SEC, FINRA and various federal and state regulators.
Karl also was formerly an in-house attorney at Citigroup, serving first as litigation manager for the bank’s broker-dealer, and then as a member of the firm’s Regulatory Enforcement Group, where he represented the firm’s institutional, trading and retail businesses in regulatory investigations and examinations.
Prior to serving in-house, Karl worked for six years as an Associate on the Bressler, Amery & Ross Securities team.
Karl’s community and charitable endeavors include serving as President of Leonia Sports Boosters, Inc.; a member of the Board for Love of God Foundation, Inc.; Borough Councilman for Leonia, NJ from 2000-2004; as well as Recreation Commissioner for Leonia, NJ from 2010 to the present.
- Successfully defended client firms and registered representatives in securities fraud, suitability and selling away claims brought by public customers
- Conducted internal investigations involving criminal and regulatory violations, including unauthorized use of discretion, cross trading, altering books and records, defalcation, elder abuse, forgery and violations of gifts and gratuities regulations
- Successfully defended client firms against fraudulent research claims brought by investors
- Representing a national financial services company undergoing a multi-state unclaimed property/escheatment audit
- Successfully defended client firm against damages claims in auction rate securities litigation
News & Publications
- April 12, 2016Lustgarten Foundation 2016 New York City Pancreatic Cancer Research Walk
Bressler, Amery & Ross and its Women’s Initiative Group were proud sponsors of the Lustgarten Foundation’s 2016 New York City Pancreatic Cancer Research Walk. Member… Read more
- February 8, 2016How CCOs Can Tackle Social Media Use
Social media use, which has quickly become the norm in the securities industry, presents significant and evolving compliance, legal and reputational risks for broker… Read more
- December 1, 2015Representing a Client Before a Securities Regulator - Practical Advice
This article is intended to provide a practical overview of what practitioners should expect, and what issues they should be anticipating and addressing when represe… Read more
- April 28, 2014Bressler Welcomes New Principal Who Launched His Career at the Firm
Bressler, Amery & Ross, P.C. welcomes back attorney Karl Marquardt who rejoins as a Principal of the firm. Following a judicial clerkship, Mr. Marquardt started his … Read more
- February 16, 2017New York Lawyers for the Public Interest 24th Annual Law & Society Award Luncheon
Bressler, Amery & Ross is a proud sponsor of the New York Lawyers for the Public Interest 24th Annual Law & Society Award Luncheon taking place February 16, 2017 at … Read more
- February 26, 2015SIFMA Social Media Seminar 2015
Bressler Principal Karl Marquardt will moderate a panel titled, “Compliance Strategies for Social Media, Mobile Devices & Other Communication Tools,” at the 2015 SIF… Read more
- October 23, 2014SIFMA Social Media Seminar 2014
Karl Marquardt will be participating in the SIFMA Social Media Seminar in New York on October 23, 2014. He will moderate the panel on "Compliance Strategies for Soci… Read more
- June 17, 2014SIFMA Tech 2014
Karl Marquardt will be participating in SIFMA Tech 2014. He will act as a moderator for the panel "Risk & Compliance – Social Media - Technology, Management, and Co… Read more