"I care personally about every client I have the opportunity to serve. My clients appreciate my practical approach to the practice of law, as well as tremendous concern for and attention to their bottom line."
Karen Murphy practices in the firm’s Environmental Law practice group. She represents a diverse clientele in regulatory, compliance, litigation, transactional and redevelopment issues. Karen has represented clients in enforcement actions, cost recovery litigation, toxic tort litigation and other environmental cases in federal and state court and before the Office of Administrative Law.
Karen assists clients in the industrial, commercial, retail and residential sectors with the sale and purchase of environmentally impaired properties, including negotiating funding mechanisms to facilitate transactions. She has significant experience with redevelopment of Brownfields, and she has served on the Steering Committee for Brownfield Development Areas in New Jersey.
Karen also advises clients in mergers, acquisitions and real estate transactions involving environmental due diligence, contractual indemnity and allocation of environmental responsibilities. She has experience in negotiating commercial leases on behalf of landlords or tenants.
In the regulatory field, Karen counsels both large and small businesses on compliance with the Industrial Site Recovery Act (ISRA), New Jersey Spill Compensation and Control Act and CERCLA (Superfund). She provides assistance in obtaining permits and agency approvals for air and water discharges, wetlands delineation and mitigation projects, recycling, spill reporting and underground storage tank removal.
In oversight of remediation of contaminated properties, Karen works closely with environmental consultants, engineers and local, state and federal agencies. She regularly appears before the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection, the U.S. EPA and municipal zoning and planning boards.
Karen has lectured on environmental compliance and reporting obligations at the Rutgers University’s Cook College Environmental Law and Regulation Short Course (2006). She is a volunteer attorney for Partners for Women & Justice, representing victims of domestic violence seeking final restraining orders.
- Represent public company in remediation of former plastics manufacturing facility in Branchburg Township, NJ
- Assisted client with the sale and transfer of environmental liabilities at an 80 acre brownfield property in Perth Amboy, NJ
- Handled environmental permitting, land use and remediation matters for national home heating oil and propane distributor
- Negotiate commercial and warehouse leases for logistics and transportation company
- Handled the sale, acquisition and leasing of various agricultural, industrial and commercial properties throughout North America for international chemical company
- Assisted client with the sale and remediation of corrugated paper manufacturing facility in Newark, NJ
- Assist contracting businesses in New Jersey with licensing and disciplinary proceedings before the State Board of Examiners of Master Plumbers and State Board of Examiners of HVACR Contractors
News & Publications
- June 7, 2016Bressler and Partners for Women and Justice Form the Ronnie Ann Powell Internship
Bressler and Partners for Women and Justice Form the Ronnie Ann Powell Internship On Tuesday, June 7, 2016, Bressler hosted the inaugural event launching the Ronnie … Read more
- January 7, 2014Bressler Elects New Principals in New York and New Jersey
FLORHAM PARK, NJ, JANUARY 7, 2014 – Bressler, Amery & Ross, P.C. is pleased to announce that attorneys Regina Pepe Martorana, Karen E. Murphy and Tracey Salmon-Smith… Read more
- November 21, 2013Proposed Bill To Allow For Extensions Of May 7, 2014 Remedial Investigation Deadline