“In over three decades of work in dispute resolution, I have achieved great success by placing the accent on ‘resolution,’ rather than ‘dispute.’”
David Pikus gets results. He has been actively engaged as a litigator for over three decades in New York and New Jersey. Devoted to complex cases, his experience has spanned nearly all facets of litigation, including general commercial, matrimonial, bankruptcy, regulatory, public utility, securities, environmental and intellectual property.
David's career has spanned an exceptionally wide legal spectrum, endowing him with a virtually unmatched diversity of experience that has led to successful and creative results for his clients. He has equivalent experience practicing before the courts and administrative agencies in both New Jersey and New York. He lectures regularly on New York and New Jersey family law, foreclosures, judgment enforcement and other issues.
David started his career in 1980 at one of Manhattan's largest law firms, rising to partner and co-administrator of that firm's litigation and matrimonial departments. In early 1994, he joined Bressler, where he has been a Principal for all of his 20 years. Over his career, he has represented celebrity entertainers, professional athletes, corporate CEOs, authors, bankers, physicians, lawyers, accountants, public utilities, artists, financial institutions, bankruptcy committees and trustees.
David has litigated numerous and well known cases at the trial and appellate level, many involving large stakes or unique issues. They include:
- Groundbreaking cases involving condemnation of railroad rights-of-way by a large electric utility
- Preservation of a nuclear generating plant's operating license in the wake of the Three Mile Island accident
- Cases of first impression in family law, including equitable distribution of professional practices and insurance awards
- Multimillion dollar insurance coverage matter
- Comity granted to foreign judgments
- Interstate enforcement of orders
- Concerning grandparent visitation
- Case of first impression in the U.S. District Court in New Jersey involving copyright law
- Major decision on New York's statute of frauds
- Partnership and intra-corporate disputes
- Selection of the nation's largest bankruptcy proceedings
Considered a "lawyer's lawyer" and valued for his acuity of thought and analytical ability, David also regularly advises other law firms, and has acted as an expert on American law for foreign lawyers. Appointed as Special Master in major cases in the New York Supreme Court and the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York, David has presided over trials as Referee and has also performed private mediation and arbitration services. He has served as a regular Special Master in New York Supreme Court's renowned Commercial Division and currently functions as a neutral evaluator in the Supreme Court's matrimonial evaluation program and a member of the matrimonial advisory committee in New York County.
Of particular note, David served as Assistant Counsel for the New York Governor's Judicial Screening Committee; as Special Counsel for the New Jersey Democratic State Committee; as an Aide to New Jersey Governor Brendan Byrne; and as an Adjunct Professor at Jersey City State College (now known as New Jersey City University). A prolific writer on a variety of substantive legal disciplines, he has authored articles published in New Jersey Lawyer, the New Jersey Law Journal and The Record, among many others.
News & Publications
- September 21, 20167 Bressler Attorneys Recognized by New York Metro Super Lawyers
Bressler, Amery & Ross, P.C. is pleased to announce that five firm attorneys have been selected to the 2016 New York Metro Super Lawyers list and two attorneys were … Read more
- September 16, 20157 Bressler Attorneys Recognized by New York Metro Super Lawyers
Bressler, Amery & Ross, P.C. is pleased to announce that five firm attorneys have been selected to the 2015 New York Metro Super Lawyers list and two attorneys were … Read more
- February 1, 2012Class Action Counsel Fees: Will the Lodestar Ride Again
For well over a century, courts have wrestled with the challenge of compensating lawyers who have taken up the cause of a definable group of victims of a mass wrong,… Read more
- April 26, 2011Eight Bressler, Amery & Ross Attorneys Named to 2011 New Jersey Super Lawyer List
Bressler, Amery & Ross, P.C. is pleased to announce that eight Firm attorneys have been named to the 2011 New Jersey Super Lawyer list. Each year, Thomson Reuters pu… Read more
- April 13, 2010Eight Bressler, Amery & Ross Attorneys Named to the 2010 New Jersey Super Lawyer List
Bressler, Amery & Ross, P.C. is pleased to announce that eight Firm attorneys have been named to the 2010 New Jersey Super Lawyer list. Each year, Law & Poli… Read more
- May 18, 2016NY City Bar: New Jersey Bridge-the-Gap
Bressler Principals Angela Scafuri and David Pikus will speak on “NJ Family Law Practice” at the New York City Bar Association’s New Jersey Bridge-the-Gap CLE progra… Read more
- February 7, 2014New Jersey 16-Hour Bridge-The-Gap
Angela M. Scafuri and David H. Pikus will be speaking on February 7, 2014 on NJ Family Law at New Jersey's Bridge-the-Gap 16-Hour Session. This month’s 16-Hour New J… Read more
- July 19, 2013New York County Lawyers' Association
David Pikus will be giving a presentation on matrimonial law on Friday, July 19, 2013 at New York County Lawyers' Association.… Read more
- August 23, 2012New Jersey Bridge the Gap: A Program for Newly Admitted Attorneys
On August 23, David Pikus will be a speaker at "New Jersey Bridge the Gap: A Program for Newly Admitted Attorneys."… Read more
- February 10, 2012New York City Bar Association - New Jersey Family Law Practice
On February 10, 2012, Angela Scafuri and David Pikus will speak about New Jersey Family Law Practice for the New York City Bar Association… Read more
- AV Preeminent Rating from Martindale-Hubbell
- Listed in New York Metro Super Lawyers, 2006-2016*