“I am a trial attorney. If you give me a complex set of facts, I will present it to a fact finder in a simple and compelling way. I feel lucky to be able to do this work, as most times it feels as if I am getting paid to have fun, particularly in the trial itself.”
Richard Szuch is a senior member of the Securities Litigation and Regulation practice group. He started his career as a prosecutor and tried close to 40 criminal trials by the time he was 30 years old. In his first securities arbitration, he took on the now infamous Jordan Belfort and his Stratton Oakmont firm, featured in Martin Scorcese’s film, “The Wolf Of Wall Street.”
Since then, he has devoted himself to the defense of regional and national business concerns. He is currently acting as one of the lead trial attorneys in the defense of claims related to the re-pricing of Puerto Rico’s debt market. Richard regularly represents broker-dealers and banks, defending an array of fraud based claims. He defends clients in regulatory inquiries, arbitrations concerning securities transactions and employment disputes. He has been in trials and hearings related to diverse topics including intellectual property, environmental contamination, voter fraud, closely held business disputes, probate matters and other subjects.
Richard is appreciated as an advocate who understands what is needed to avert acrimony, minimize liability and succeed at trial. His litigated results speak for themselves. In the 20 plus arbitrations he has defended since 2008, where there was a combined total of $55 million in claimed damages, the awards rendered against his clients have been limited to $9.5 million, or just 17% of the total exposure.
He lectures nationwide with various trade groups and has consistently earned “A” ratings on his presentations. This year he will be a guest speaker at PIABA’s annual conference and will be speaking about effective advocacy at hearings. He founded the New Jersey State Bar Association, Securities Committee. He is a member (and past Chair) of the Morris County Chancery Mediation program, where he has enjoyed a 90% plus success rate as a mediator.
Richard is a dedicated neighbor and likes to say "yes" to most all charitable endeavors when asked for time or money. He mentors high school, college and law school students regarding their studies and employment options. In addition, Richard and the firm do pro bono work for Morristown’s Temple B’nai Or, where he serves as Temple Counsel.
News & Publications
- August 15, 2016Best Lawyers in America 2017 Recognizes Bressler Attorneys
Bressler, Amery & Ross, P.C. is pleased to announce that twenty firm attorneys have been selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2017 list, one of… Read more
- August 17, 2015Best Lawyers in America 2016 Recognizes Bressler Attorneys
Bressler, Amery & Ross, P.C. is pleased to announce that seventeen firm attorneys have been selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2016 list, one of … Read more
- August 18, 2014Sixteen Bressler, Amery & Ross Attorneys Listed in 2015 Edition of Best Lawyers in America
Bressler, Amery & Ross, P.C. is pleased to announce that sixteen Firm attorneys have been named to The Best Lawyers in America® 2015 list.* The 2015 edition of The B… Read more
- August 15, 2013Eight Bressler, Amery & Ross Attorneys Listed in 2014 Edition of Best Lawyers in America
Bressler, Amery & Ross, P.C. is pleased to announce that eight Firm attorneys have been named to The Best Lawyers in America® 2014 list.* The 2014 edition of The Bes… Read more
- August 27, 2012Eight Bressler, Amery & Ross Attorneys Named to the 2013 Best Lawyers in America® List
Bressler, Amery & Ross, P.C. is pleased to announce that eight Firm attorneys have been named to The Best Lawyers in America® 2013 (Copyright 2012 by Woodward/White,… Read more
- November 8, 2011Seven Bressler, Amery & Ross Attorneys Named to the 2012 Best Lawyers in America List
Bressler, Amery & Ross, P.C. is pleased to announce that seven Firm attorneys have been named to the 2012 Best Lawyers in America* list. Jed L. Marcus – Employment L… Read more
- January 13, 2011Six Firm Attorneys Included in New York Magazine's Listing of the New York Area's Best Lawyers
Bressler, Amery & Ross, P.C. is pleased to announce that six Firm attorneys have been included in New York Magazine’s listing of The New York Area’s Best Lawyers, 20… Read more
- August 1, 2009Seniors - The Laws, The Rules, The Cases
- January 31, 2009What's So Special About Seniors Anyway?
- September 1, 2007When the Baby Boom Era Becomes the Retirement Explosion
- November 1, 20152015 NSCP National Conference - Mock Arbitration
Principal Richard Szuch will speak on the panel “Mock Arbitration” at the 2015 National Society of Compliance Professionals’ (NSCP’s) National Conference on Tuesday,… Read more
- October 21, 20142014 National Society of Compliance Professionals National Conference
On October 21, 2014, Richard Szuch and Stefanie Wayco will be speaking at the 2014 National Society of Compliance Professionals National Conference in National Harbo… Read more
- May 13, 2014NRS 29th Spring Investment Adviser and Broker-Dealer Compliance Conference
Richard C. Szuch will be speaking at the NRS 29th Spring Investment Adviser and Broker-Dealer Compliance Conference in Orlando, Florida on May 13, 2014. Below are th… Read more
- October 22, 20132013 NSCP National Meeting
Richard Szuch will be speaking at the 2013 NSCP National Meeting in Washington, DC on October 22, 2013. He will speak on GI Lab-Soft Skills: How to Get What You Want… Read more
- September 18, 2013Compliance Matters Impacting RIA, Broker Dealers and Hybrid Relationships
On September 18, 2013, Richard Szuch will be speaking at the Financial Planning Association of New Jersey's Regional Meeting. The topic of his discussion will be Com… Read more
- June 7, 2010NSCP 2010 East Coast Regional Meeting on Detecting and Preventing Fraud
On June 7, 2010, Richard Szuch will speak at The National Society of Compliance Professionals' ("NSCP") 2010 East Coast Regional Meeting on Detecting and Preventing … Read more