“Every case is viewed from the perspective that our success is measured only by our client’s success. By truly partnering with our clients, my team provides expert guidance on the different approaches to move from problem to solution and from opportunity to success.”
Sam Thomas is a Principal in Bressler’s Commercial Litigation and Insurance Law practice groups, and chairs the firm’s Insurance Premium Litigation and Workers’ Compensation practices. Broad experience representing the insurance and claims industries has allowed Sam to consistently deliver practical, proven and cost-effective solutions to our clients.
Sam and his team represent insurers and claim administrators in a wide range of commercial litigation matters involving everything from large loss-sensitive insurance programs with $100,000 to $25M at issue, to guaranteed cost policies with $50,000 to $500,000 at issue. Sam understands both the business and legal implications of national accounts, commercial insurance, and recurring issues raised by policyholders. His capabilities span every aspect of the practice, such as retrospective premium formulas and calculations, large deductible formulas and calculations, allocated loss adjustment expense billing variations, guaranteed cost policies, premium audits, premium credits, dividends, allegations of claims mismanagement, experience modification factors and the impact on such factors from claims mismanagement, premium financing arrangements, broker and agency relationships, and reinsurance.
Recognized for his expertise and reputation with commercial insurance matters, Sam is frequently asked to address trade associations regarding substantive law and effective litigation strategies. Sam also served as the expert witness for the prevailing party in a multimillion dollar arbitration which centered on the parties’ strategies, decisions and actions in a commercial litigation matter involving a large retrospectively rated insurance program with allegations of pervasive claims mismanagement.
For more than two decades, Sam has also practiced workers’ compensation law on behalf of employers. This practice is focused on the representation of larger self-insured employers faced with substantial risk retention. This allows Sam to develop a thorough understanding of his clients’ businesses, personnel and operations, which he believes is critical to effective defense work. Sam’s workers’ compensation practice also make him uniquely qualified to defend insurers and claim administrators in bad faith lawsuits and counterclaims involving allegations of claims mismanagement.
Sam chairs the firm’s Pro Bono program through which the firm devotes substantial time and resources to help veterans, active servicemembers, victims of domestic violence, children at risk, and many others in need. When not practicing law, Sam spends time with his family and is active in his church. Sam enjoys traveling, hiking and barbecuing in his backyard.
- June 7, 2016Bressler and Partners for Women and Justice Form the Ronnie Ann Powell Internship
Bressler and Partners for Women and Justice Form the Ronnie Ann Powell Internship On Tuesday, June 7, 2016, Bressler hosted the inaugural event launching the Ronnie … Read more
- September 22, 2016Nuts & Bolts of Deposition Testimony
Principal Sam Thomas presents the webinar entitled Nuts & Bolts of Deposition Testimony… Read more
- February 17, 2016Amendments to the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure
Principal Sam Thomas discusses the 2015 Amendments to the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure, which took effect on December 1, 2015… Read more
- January 18, 2015Emerging Trends in Premium Collection Disputes
Principal Sam Thomas presents an overview of the recent trends in premium disputes raised by insureds… Read more
- August 26, 2014How to Properly Document a Workers’ Compensation Claim
Principal Sam Thomas and Dennis Kadian jointly present the seminar “How to Properly Document a Workers’ Compensation Claim.”… Read more
- June 11, 2014Successor Liability & How to Beat the Corporate Three-Card Monte
Principal Sam Thomas will participate in the Insurance Collections Executives ("ICE") Webinar entitled Successor Liability & How to Beat the Corporate Three-Card Mon… Read more
- June 13, 2013Pros and Cons of E-mail: Lessons Learned Webinar
Principal Sam Thomas will run a webinar titled "Pros and Cons of E-mail: Lessons Learned." The webinar is presented jointly with Insurance Collection Executives. Fro… Read more
- January 29, 2013Agents, Brokers & Agents
Principal Sam Thomas and Dennis Kadian jointly present the seminar “Agents, Brokers & Agents.”… Read more
- July 20, 2012Knowledge: The Key to Collection without Litigation, Part One Premium Audits
Principal Sam Thomas is conducting the webinar, "The Key to Collection without Litigation - Premium Audits." The webinar is presented jointly with Insurance Collecti… Read more
- April 05, 2012National Accounts: Effective Strategies and Litigation Management
Principal Sam Thomas and Dennis Kadian present the webinar, “National Accounts: Effective Strategies and Litigation Management.”… Read more
- March 1, 2012Knowledge: The Key to Success in Collections and Litigation, Part Two Judgments, Liens & Executions
Principal Sam Thomas and Dennis Kadian present the webinar, “Knowledge: The Key to Success in Collections and Litigation,… Read more
- February 8, 2012National Accounts: How to Prepare for Litigation
Principal Sam Thomas and Dennis Kadian present the webinar, “National Accounts: How to Prepare for Litigation.”… Read more
- October 22, 2011Lessons Learned from Jury Trials Involving Large Loss-Sensitive Insurance Programs with Allegations of Claims Mismanagement
Principal Sam Thomas presents an in-depth analysis of how an insurer’s claim files and communications with a National Account insured impacted a jury trial and resul… Read more
- June 23, 2011Knowledge: The Key to Collection without Litigation, Premium Financing
Principal Sam Thomas and Dennis Kadian present the webinar, “Knowledge: The Key to Collection without Litigation, Premium Financing.”… Read more
- May 18, 2011Knowledge: The Key to Collection without Litigation, Loss-Sensitive Insurance Programs
Principal Sam Thomas and Dennis Kadian present the webinar, “Knowledge: The Key to Collection without Litigation, Loss-Sensitive Insurance Programs.… Read more
- November 10, 2015Changes to the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure Impact Case Management and Discovery
Client Alert… Read more