“As a trial judge, I believed it critical to master the facts and the law before a hearing and then listen closely to the parties to better understand their positions. I take the same approach in private dispute resolution, also knowing that parties wish to resolve their disputes quickly and efficiently.”
Thomas L. Weisenbeck is Of Counsel to Bressler, Amery & Ross, P.C. and a member of the firm’s Litigation Practice Group. At Bressler, he focuses his practice in mediation, arbitration and special master services. He provides third-party neutral services in family, probate and civil matters as an arbitrator, mediator and discovery master, assists with settlement negotiations and/or case management of complex cases and conducts internal corporate investigations.
Mr. Weisenbeck was nominated to the bench by then-acting Governor Richard J. Codey and took the oath of office on May 19, 2005. He was assigned to the Family Division in the Morris/Sussex Vicinage. The Chief Justice appointed him Presiding Judge of the Family Division in August 2009. He has served as Vice-Chair of the Domestic Violence Working Group and a member of the Supreme Court Committee on Access and Fairness. In 2011, he was appointed to the Advisory Committee on Public Access to Court Records and was selected to Chair that Committee in 2012. He was appointed as Assignment Judge of the Morris/Sussex Vicinage effective May 1st, 2011.
Prior to his appointment to the bench, Mr. Weisenbeck was in private practice, first at Wilentz, Goldman and Spitzer. In 1977 he joined the U.S. Department of Justice as a trial attorney and then became an Assistant U.S. Attorney in 1982. He received several awards and recognitions for his government service. In 1985 he left public service to join the former Hannoch Weisman law firm, where he became a partner. In 1992, he joined Bressler, Amery & Ross, P.C. as a principal, where he remained until his appointment to the bench.
Mr. Weisenbeck received his B.S. from the University of New Hampshire and his J.D. from Rutgers School of Law-Camden. He is a Vietnam veteran. He served as a law clerk to Judge Robert Muir, Jr. when Judge Muir was assigned to the General Equity Division.
- February 11, 2016NJLJ Quotes Thomas Weisenbeck: "Life After the Bench Can Be Lucrative in ADR"
Bressler’s Thomas Weisenbeck was quoted in the New Jersey Law Journal’s second installment of the series looking at judges’ post-bench careers. Weisenbeck rejoined t… Read more
- June 8, 2015Superior Court Judge Rejoins Bressler, Amery & Ross
Honorable Thomas L. Weisenbeck to be Of Counsel Focusing on Mediation… Read more
- November 10, 2017Thomas Weisenbeck to Speak at NJICLE Program: Hot Tips in Family Law Demystifying the Trial
Thomas Weisenbeck will be speaking at the New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education (NJICLE) Program called Hot Tips in Family Law Demystifying the Trial: … Read more
- June 8, 2017Trial Attorneys of New Jersey (TANJ) Annual Meeting and MCLE Seminar
Bressler attorneys Thomas Weisenbeck, Diana Manning and Benjamin DiLorenzo will present on Ethics and the Modern Trial Attorney at the Trial Attorneys of New Jersey … Read more
- January 25, 2017Morris County Bar Association Annual Installation Dinner
Bressler attorneys Mark Tallmadge, Tom Weisenbeck, Diana Manning, Angela Scafuri, Ron Campione, Ben DiLorenzo, Katie Rockwood and Polina Dostalik attended the Morris… Read more
- July 26, 2016Family Law Summer Institute
Bressler’s Thomas Weisenbeck will speak on “Ethics in the Practice of Family Law and the Professionalism that Ethics Engenders” at the New Jersey Institute for Conti… Read more
- April 7, 2016Matrimonial Law - Boardwalk Seminar 2016
Angela Scafuri and Thomas Weisenbeck will speak at New Jersey Association For Justice’s (NJAJ’s) 2016 Boardwalk Seminar Matrimonial Law Program on April 7, 2016 at H… Read more
- December 16, 2015Effective Use of Mediation in Elder Law Disputes
Thomas Weisenbeck will speak on “Effective Use of Mediation in Elder Law Disputes” at a December meeting of the Morris County Bar Association’s Elder Law Section on … Read more
- November 11, 2015The Road to Resolution: Collaborative Law, Mediation, Arbitration or Trial
Thomas Weisenbeck will speak on “DeVita Restraints: Factors to Consider” at the New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education (NJICLE) program The Road to… Read more
- October 31, 2015Privileges, Confidences and their Ethical Implications in Family Law Litigation
Thomas Weisenbeck will speak on the ‘Victim/Counselor Privilege’ at the New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education (NJICLE) program, Privileges, Confidences… Read more
- October 8, 2015The Justice Marie L. Garibaldi American Inn of Court for ADR Seminar on Probate Mediation
Thomas Weisenbeck will speak on probate mediation at a CLE seminar sponsored by The Justice Marie L. Garibaldi American Inn of Court for Alternative Dispute Resoluti… Read more
- September 26, 2015Exploring Careers in the Law
Exploring Careers in the Law Mark M. Tallmadge and Thomas L. Weisenbeck will speak at “Exploring Careers in the Law: A Symposium About Careers in the Law Presented … Read more
- July 28, 2015NJICLE Family Law Summer Institute 2015
Honorable Thomas L. Weisenbeck, AJSC (Ret.) will speak on “Ethics and Professionalism: A Guide from the Top” at the Family Law Summer Institute 2015 on July 28, 2015… Read more
Awards & Honors
- Special Commendation for Outstanding Service from the Attorney General of the United States
- Letter of Commendation from the Director, Federal Bureau of Investigation
- Outstanding Advocacy Award, Department of Labor, Office of Labor Racketeering
- Drug Enforcement Administration Certificate for Outstanding Contributions
- Fellow, American Bar Foundation