“My approach is pragmatic and designed to simplify complex legal challenges with an eye toward bringing my clients a successful, cost effective solution.”
Matt Wolper’s practice is focused on securities, commercial and employment litigation matters. He appears before federal and state courts, multi-district litigation panels, self-regulatory organizations, and before arbitration panels presiding under the auspices of the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) and the American Arbitration Association.
On securities matters, Matt represents financial institutions, broker-dealers and investment advisers in litigation and arbitration. He is uniquely qualified to handle large, complex cases involving non-traditional investment strategies, including structured products, hedge funds, multi-tranche offerings, privately held investments, margin, arbitrage and options strategies and cross currency investments/borrowing.
Also a member of the firm’s commercial and employment litigation teams, Matt represents individuals and entities in a wide range of commercial disputes, including those involving federal and state employment law violations, claims of fraud or breach of fiduciary duty, RICO violations, deceptive and unfair trade practices acts, non-compete agreements, as well as allegations under common law theories of recovery.
Outside of the office, Matt enjoys spending time his wife and two kids, traveling and coaching his kids' athletic teams.
Published decisions include:
- South Cherry Street, LLC v. Hennessee Group, LLC, et al, 2009 WL 2032133(2d Cir. 2009)
- Stephan J. Lawrence v. Alan Goldberg, et al, 2009 WL 1974755 (11th Cir. 2009)
- In Re Bayou Hedge Fund Litigation, 2007 WL 2311927 (S.D.N.Y. July 31, 2007)
- Deitchman v. Bear, Stearns Securities Corp., 2007 WL 4592238 (S.D. Fla. Dec. 28, 2007)
Representative matters include:
- Handled hundreds of arbitrations and litigations to a successful conclusion, on behalf of both individual and institutional clients
- Successfully defended large, publicly traded broker/dealer in a multi-million dollar arbitration involving complex options strategies and cross currency borrowing
- Successfully defended large, publicly traded broker/dealer in multi-million dollar arbitration involving the use of margin and the purchase of large, concentrated equity positions
- Successfully defended large, publicly traded broker-dealer, and some of its managing directors, in lawsuit with allegations of civil RICO, illegal wiretapping and conspiracy where a dismissal of the lawsuit was obtained and affirmed on appeal
- Successfully defended a hedge fund consultant in multiple lawsuits filed around the country alleging that the consultant failed to conduct appropriate due diligence of a hedge fund that turned out to be a Ponzi scheme. After obtaining dismissal of one action pending in the Southern District of New York, and having that decision affirmed on appeal, favorable settlements were reached in numerous other pending matters, eliminating more than $60 million of exposure
News & Publications
- June 9, 20163 Bressler Attorneys Recognized by Florida Super Lawyers
Bressler, Amery & Ross, P.C. is pleased to announce that three firm attorneys have been selected to the 2016 Florida Rising Stars list. The list appears in the Flori… Read more
- June 11, 20152 Bressler Attorneys Recognized by Florida Super Lawyers
Bressler, Amery & Ross, P.C. is pleased to announce that two firm attorneys have been selected to the 2015 Florida Rising Stars list. The list appears in the Florida… Read more
- June 10, 2014Bressler, Amery & Ross Attorneys Selected as 2014 Florida Rising Stars
Bressler, Amery & Ross, P.C. is pleased to announce that three Firm attorneys have been named to the 2014 Florida Rising Stars list. Jonathan C. Schwartz- Business L… Read more
- June 17, 2013Bressler, Amery & Ross Attorneys Named to the 2013 Florida Rising Stars List
Bressler, Amery & Ross, P.C. is pleased to announce that two Firm attorneys have been named to the 2013 Florida Rising Stars list. Jonathan C. Schwartz- Commercial L… Read more
- January 4, 2013Bressler Elects New Principals
Bressler, Amery & Ross, P.C. is pleased to announce that Nikolas Komyati and Matthew Wolper have become Principals of the firm. Nikolas S. Komyati practices in the F… Read more
- September 30, 2012"'Manifest Disregard': Not Yet Entirely Disregarded"
On March 25, 2008, the U.S. Supreme Court issued its opinion in Hall Street Assoc., LLC v. Mattel, Inc., 552 U.S. 576 (2008), holding that §§10 and 11 of the Federal… Read more