Denver G. Edwards is a Principal and a member of the firm’s Securities practice group. He is a trusted advisor to individuals and companies in times of crisis.
Denver represents corporations and individuals in federal and state regulatory investigations, regulatory proceedings, corporate internal investigations and litigation. He has represented individuals alleged to have been involved in insider trading, sales practice violations, failure to supervise, and fraudulent securities offerings. He has also represented financial services clients in multi-jurisdiction government investigation focused on market-wide practices. Denver also counsels regulated entities on data security related to preparation and prevention, incident response, and litigation stemming from unauthorized intrusions.
Denver represents creditors in bankruptcy-related litigation and out-of-court restructurings. He represents clients in avoidance actions, breach of fiduciary duty, fraud, D&O liability, and corporate waste. Denver has represented a range of clients, including financial institutions, energy companies, commercial real estate entities, holders of public securities, vendors, and acquirers of distressed assets.
Prior to joining the firm, Denver served as a Senior Counsel in the Enforcement Divisions of the Securities and Exchange Commission and the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency, respectively, and was a vice president at Goldman Sachs & Co.’s Regulatory Inquiries Group. Denver also served as counsel to New United Motor Manufacturing, Inc., a Toyota/GM joint venture, where he helped the company successfully wind down and dissolve outside of bankruptcy.
Representative Financial Services Matters
- Represented COO in SEC investigation alleging hedge fund’s failure to disclose policies regarding use of investor proceeds, redemption rights, and valuation of securities.
- Represented promoter in SEC investigation alleging fraudulent private offering in connection with film financing transactions.
- Represented trader in SEC investigation alleging trading on material non-public information before a merger. No enforcement proceeding brought by the SEC.
- Represented Branch Manager in SEC investigation who purportedly failed to supervise a rogue financial advisor. No charges brought against Branch Manager despite deficiencies in firm’s compliance system that enabled the financial advisor to evade detection.
- Represented bank in multi-jurisdiction investigation involving failures in the Auction Rate Securities market.
- Secured disgorgement and civil penalties against executives who misappropriated financial information about a publicly traded insurer and sold the stock short while their company was engaged to print the insurer’s annual report.
- Secured industry bar, disgorgement, and penalties against brokerage firm and financial advisors related to the sale of unregistered securities using false and misleading statements in a PPM and high pressure sales tactics.
- Led investigation of a pharmaceutical company’s subsidiary that engaged in “bill and hold” transactions to manipulate earning resulting in the company restating its financial results for multiple years.
- Secured fine and removal of bank executive after ALJ concluded that the executive facilitated loans to insiders and institution-affiliated parties that exceeded the bank’s lending limit and threatened the safety and soundness of the bank.
- Drafted interpretative guidance of the National Bank Act to find that a structured lease is the functional equivalent of a secured loan, resulting in national banks being able to create financial products that allow religious minorities to buy homes without violating their faith.
- Drafted industry guidance regarding the use of national bank’s “excess capacity” to provide services not usually associated with the business of banking, such as employee benefits/career counseling.
- Advised stakeholders regarding the powers of national banks’ operating subsidiaries.
Representative Bankruptcy and Creditors’ Right Matters
- Retained on behalf of Big Four accounting firm to opine whether a hedge fund's LPs’ foreclosure on assets in the capital account of the fund’s GP due to the GP’s failure to make required capital contributions was a transfer for less than reasonably equivalent value under the UFTA, UVTA, and the Bankruptcy Code.
- Represented individual shareholders in Tribune Fraudulent Conveyance Litigation whereby Chapter 11 Trustee attempted to claw-back payments made to shareholders in a multi-billion LBO.
- Recruited to join the in-house legal team of New United Motor Manufacturing, Inc., a multibillion Toyota/GM joint venture, and assist management develop and execute strategic plans to monetize assets and maximize value for shareholders. Results included:
- Negotiated the sale of substantially all of the Company’s PP&E and other assets, netting revenues 300% above liquidation valuation;
- Resolved contract disputes with suppliers, completing project $27 million under budget;
- Redesigned $90 million retiree benefit plans to ensure continued health insurance coverage for current and former employees, saving the Company $10 million;
- Negotiated termination of pension plan with the PBGC, saving the Company $30 million; and
- Reduced $125 million workers’ compensation portfolio by $52 million within two years.
- Led defense against Chapter 11 Trustee who alleged that defendant conspired to defraud debtors by diverting payments from lockbox to an unauthorized account controlled by the CEO. Trustee settled for a fraction of the amount sought.
- Represented investors of non-debtor affiliates who opposed the debtors’ use of cash collateral and the inclusion of the affiliates as collateral to secure debtor-in-possession financing.
- Represented indenture trustees to enforce terms of bond indenture related to payment priority and make whole claims.
- Led defense in adversary proceedings involving landlords and retailers related to debtors’ assumption and assignment of leases to third parties.
- Led defense in numerous adversary proceedings whereby debtors, Unsecured Creditors Committees, and/or trustees sought to avoid and recover pre-petition transfers that creditors received from debtors.
- July 17, 2017Cybersecurity 2.0: Creating Order from the Regulatory Landscape to Build a Strategic Advantage
Bressler Principal Denver Edwards discusses cybersecurity, including the National Institute of Standards and Technology’s (NIST) cybersecurity framework and how it r… Read more
- August 22, 2016Denver G. Edwards Joins Bressler as Principal in Securities Practice
Brings Financial Services Regulatory, Bankruptcy and Creditors Rights, and Litigation Experience to the Firm… Read more
- August 9, 2018Denver Edwards to Speak on "Privacy & Cybersecurity Working Group Meeting" Webinar
Principal Denver Edwards will be a guest speaker on In The House webinar, "Privacy & Cybersecurity Working Group Meeting".… Read more
- August 9, 2018Denver Edwards to Speak on "Solo GC Virtual Networking" Webinar
Principal Denver Edwards will be a guest speaker on In The House webinar, "Solo GC Virtual Networking".… Read more
- May 18, 2018Metropolitan Black Bar Association's (MBBA) 34th Anniversary Awards Gala
Bressler attorneys Denver Edwards, Natasha Cooper, Risa Rich, Gerard Belfort, John Kofi Osei-Tutu, and Olivia Lee Jones will attend the MBBA's 34th Annual Anniversar… Read more
- April 18, 2018Bressler Partners with JPMorgan to Provide Assistance for The Neighborhood Entrepreneur Law Project
As part of The Neighborhood Entrepreneur Law Project (NELP) of the City Bar Justice Center, five Bressler attorneys in partnership with JPMorgan Chase & Co. partic… Read more
- October 25, 2017Denver Edwards to be Panelist on EU-GDPR Compliance Details Webinar
Principal Denver Edwards will be a panelist on a Bright Talk webinar discussing EU-Global Data Privacy Regulation.… Read more
- May 19, 2017Metropolitan Black Bar Association’s (MBBA) 33rd Anniversary Awards Gala
Bressler attorneys Tracey Salmon-Smith, Denver Edwards, Natasha Cooper, Risa Rich and Gerard Belfort will attend the MBBA’s 33rd Annual Anniversary Gala taking place… Read more
- February 22, 2017Ethical Issues for In-House Attorneys: A Traditional Perspective and the Emerging Digital Frontier
Bressler attorneys Denver Edwards, Susan George, Risa Rich and Rafael Rosario will be presenting a CLE seminar to Bank of America on February 22, 2017 at their offic… Read more
- November 18, 2016Cybersecurity in 2016: SEC and FINRA Perspectives
Bressler, Amery & Ross Principal Denver G. Edwards will be a Keynote speaker at SIFMA Compliance and Legal Society St. Petersburg Breakfast, November 18,2016.… Read more
- October 28, 2016Cyber Security and the Cloud
Denver Edwards will be a panelist at "Cyber Security and the Cloud" sponsored by Above the Law.… Read more
- October 20, 2016It's All About the Data: The AXA Cyber Security Conference
Denver Edwards will be speaking about Regulatory and Enforcement Trends at the "It's All About the Data: The AXA Cyber Security Conference."… Read more
- June 21, 2018New York Attorney General Must File Martin Act Cases Within The Three-Year Statute of Limitation
Financial Institutions Alert… Read more
- May 29, 2018Denver Edwards Quoted in SecurityRoundtable.org Article, "What's The Best Reporting Structure for the CISO?"
Principal Denver Edwards was quoted in the SecurityRoundtable.org article, "What's The Best Reporting Structure for the CISO?" by Stephanie Overby on May 29, 2018.… Read more
- May 1, 2018SEC Fines Yahoo! Inc. $35 Million for Failure to Report Cybersecurity Breach
Financial Institutions Alert… Read more
- May 1, 2018Cybersecurity Risks In Vendor Relationships
High-profile breaches at Target and Home Depot, in which hackers gained access to networks through the companies' service providers, caught the public's attention.… Read more
- April 26, 2018Denver Edwards Quoted in Corporate Counsel article, "SEC's $35M Cyber Disclosure Settlement With Yahoo Could Be 'Rubicon Moment'"
Principal Denver Edwards was quoted in the Corporate Counsel article, "SEC's $35M Cyber Disclosure Settlement With Yahoo Could Be 'Rubicon Moment'" by Dan Clark on A… Read more
- February 12, 2018Denver Edwards Quoted in Bloomberg BNA Article, “Looming N.Y. Cybersecurity Deadline Puts Pressure on Companies”
Principal Denver Edwards was quoted in the Blomberg BNA article, “Looming N.Y. Cybersecurity Deadline Puts Pressure on Companies.”… Read more
- December 29, 2017ThinkAdvisor Quotes Denver Edwards on Advisors Beware: More Fintech Regs, Enforcement Coming in 2018
Principal Denver Edwards was quoted in the ThinkAdvisor article "Advisors Beware: More Fintech Regs, Enforcement Coming in 2018" by Ed Silverstein on December 29, 20… Read more
- November 21, 2017ThinkAdvisor Quotes Denver Edwards on SEC Exam Priorities Said to Focus on Cybersecurity, Seniors in 2018
Principal Denver Edwards was quoted in the ThinkAdvisor article "SEC Exam Priorities Said to Focus on Cybersecurity, Seniors in 2018" by Ed Silverstein on November 2… Read more
- November 8, 2017ThinkAdvisor Quotes Denver Edwards on SEC Shows Off Cybersecurity Muscle Following EDGAR Breach
Principal Denver Edwards was quoted in the ThinkAdvisor article "SEC Shows Off Cybersecurity Muscle Following EDGAR Breach" by Ed Silverstein on November 8.… Read more
- October 4, 2017The SEC Creates a Cyber Unit: Is the SEC Gearing Up to Bring Cybersecurity Enforcement Cases?
Securities Law Alert… Read more
- September 25, 2017ABA Formal Ethics Opinion Reminds Lawyers of Their Duties of Competence and Confidentiality in the Digital Age
Is it permissible for lawyers to send information to their clients in unencrypted e-mails? Indeed, what are a lawyer’s ethical obligations to clients when creating, … Read more
- September 13, 2017Bloomberg BNA Quotes Denver Edwards on Equifax Data Breach
Principal Denver Edwards was quoted in the Bloomberg BNA article, “Equifax Data Breach May Prompt Shareholder Derivative Suit,” by Jimmy H. Koo on September 13.… Read more
- September 8, 2017Hedge Fund Legal & Compliance Digest Quotes Denver Edwards
Bressler Principal Denver Edwards was quoted in the Hedge Fund Legal & Compliance Digest article “How Hedge Fund Managers Can Protect Sensitive and Proprietary Data … Read more
- August 7, 2017What Can Companies Do to Improve Cybersecurity Defenses?
The WannaCry cryptoworm infected over 230,000 computers in 150 countries in May 2017. Within weeks, its cousins, the Petya and NotPetya ransomware attack crippled co… Read more
- May 17, 2017Directors & Boards Quotes Denver Edwards: ‘New Wall Street Cop Won’t “Slash & Burn”’
Bressler Principal Denver Edwards was quoted in the Directors & Boards article ‘New Wall Street Cop Won’t “Slash and Burn.”’
The article discusses the actions that incoming SEC Chairman Jay Clayton is likely going to take during his first several months in officeRead more
- April 17, 2017Post-Disclosure Agreement Not To Trade May Be A Basis For Liability Under The Misappropriation Theory
Securities Law Alert… Read more
- March 9. 2017Corporate Counsel Quotes Denver Edwards: “After Yahoo, Are In-House Counsel Jobs at Risk Over Cybersecurity?”
Bressler Principal Denver Edwards was quoted in the Corporate Counsel article “After Yahoo, Are In-House Counsel Jobs at Risk Over Cybersecurity?” by Jennifer Willia… Read more
- February 8, 2017The Supreme Court Reaffirms Dirks, But Avoids Clarifying Remote Tippee Liability in Salman v. United States
DRI, For The Defense (February 1, 2017) -- Although the Salman decision is a clear win for the government, the outcome is not as bad as it may appear for remote tipp… Read more
- January 9, 2017American Banker Quotes Denver Edwards: "N.Y. Flexes Muscle Again with Proposal to Banish Bankers"
Bressler Principal Denver Edwards was quoted in the article " N.Y. flexes muscle again with proposal to banish bankers."… Read more
- December 14, 2016The Supreme Court Reaffirms Dirks and Rejects Newman’s Personal Benefit Test for Friends and Family
Securities Law Alert… Read more
- September 29, 2016Summary of Key Provisions of NY DFS’ Cybersecurity Requirements for Financial Services Companies
Security and Insurance Law Alert… Read more