“When people ask me what I do for a living, I tell them I solve problems. At its heart, attorneys are tasked with solving a client’s issue, without creating additional issues.”
Alise Johnson Henry joined Bressler after having previously worked at UBS Financial Services as Associate General Counsel. Prior to UBS, Alise was Senior Trial Counsel for the Securities and Exchange Commission, where she represented the SEC before federal and administrative courts. She also served as Associate Counsel in the Miami office of Akerman LLP, where she represented employers in employment disputes and practiced commercial litigation.
Alise’s in-house experience has helped her to take a business approach to resolving cases, including advising clients as to mitigation of risk and encouraging market based solutions to issues. In her multiple in-house positions with an international brokerage firm, Alise learned from the inside how firms operate, which assists her greatly in advising corporate clients.
Alise offers clients vast experience in state and federal court representation and in arbitrations before the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA). She is also experienced with regulatory proceedings and investigations by FINRA, the SEC and state regulatory authorities. She has served as a FINRA arbitrator.
In addition to her far reaching capabilities in the financial services industry, Alise advises various business entities and municipalities in commercial, constitutional and employment matters. She has appeared as a guest on the CNBC Television Program "American Greed."
While in law school, Alise served as the Florida Law Review Articles Editor. Following law school, Alise clerked for U.S. Chief Magistrate Judge William Turnoff of the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida.
Alise volunteers for many non-profit groups and has twice been awarded the “Points of Light Volunteer Service Award” by the President of the United States for her volunteer work in the South Florida Community. She has also served on the Board of Directors for the Junior League of Miami and mentored foster children. Alise is also a frequent lecturer at the University of Miami law school on securities issues.
Alise enjoys reading, travel and volunteering in her community.
- Successfully defended brokerage firms and financial advisors in multiple arbitrations alleging sales practice violations
- Successfully defended brokerage firm and financial advisors in arbitrations alleging sales practice violations in the sales of variable annuities
- Successfully won orders compelling cases wrongfully brought in federal and state court actions into arbitration
- Successfully received expungements in multiple actions for financial advisors of meritless claims from their Central Registration Depository records
- Successfully obtained Preliminary Injunction against Viatical Company in a fraud action, where, on appeal, Alise was successful in obtaining the first federal appellate decision finding Viatical settlements are securities under the Securities Act
- Successfully defended a national restaurant chain against employment claims alleging discrimination
A selection of reported decisions include:
- Berti v. UBS Fin. Servs., 2012 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 156865 (Nov. 1, 2012)
- SEC v. Mutual Benefits Corp., 2004 U.S. Dist. Lexis 23008 (Nov. 10, 2004)
- Edwards v. Wells Fargo Guard Service, 141 F.Supp. 2d 1340 (M.D. Fla. 2001)
- June 15, 2015Bressler, Amery & Ross Opens Miami Office
2nd Florida Outpost for Law Firm to Focus on Securities, Insurance and Litigation… Read more
- June 28, 2010Bressler Welcomes Six Attorneys from UBS Financial Services
Bressler, Amery & Ross, P.C. is pleased to announce the arrival of six securities litigators from UBS Financial Services. Wes Holston, Principal, Bressler, Amery & R… Read more
- May 15, 2018Third Annual Southeastern Women in Financial Services Spring Symposium
Bressler attorneys Alise Johnson Henry and Joelle Simms will speak at the Third Annual Southeastern Women in Financial Services (SWIFS) on May 15, 2018 at Raymond Ja… Read more
- April 26, 2018Bressler Attorneys Participate in the Mercedes-Benz Corporate Run 2018
Bressler attorneys Alise Johnson Henry, Hope Zellinger, Tanya Lambrechts, Jackie Aleman, Suzanne Valles, Michael Shifrin, and Daniel Ilani participated in the Merced… Read more
- May 3, 2016The Southeastern Women in Financial Services Kickoff Meeting
Bressler attorneys Janell Ahnert, Andrea Greene, Alise Henry and Sara Soto will speak at the kickoff meeting for the Southeastern Women in Financial Services (SWIFS)… Read more
- April 19, 2018SEC Proposes "Regulation Best Interest" Increasing the Obligations Owed by Broker-Dealers and Investment Professionals to Their Retail Customers
Financial Institutions Law Alert… Read more
Awards & Honors
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent Rating
- Recipient of the “Points of Light Volunteer Service Award,” President of the United States, 2009, 2012
- Recipient of the Leadership Award, Junior League of Miami