“The landscape of transactional work has changed significantly in recent years due to the current economic and regulatory climates. My long term experience and broad perspective give me an advantage in understanding the challenges my clients face, and in finding creative solutions to make sure they meet their goals.”
Mike Ostrowsky has more than three decades of experience to draw from in the representation of clients in all areas of real estate and corporate transactions. Mike chairs the firm’s Real Estate practice, and is also a member of the Business team. He represents clients who are involved in the transactional world from all sides, including institutional lenders, purchasers and sellers. Mike works diligently to structure and close complex commercial real estate transactions of all types and sizes, and ranging from healthcare, to multi-family properties, to industrial and commercial projects.
Recently, numerous lenders have relied on Mike’s expertise to guide them through complex regulatory and documentation issues in order to close their loan transactions. These transactions have ranged from $30 million to $300 million and involved multi-family properties and retail store chains. During the last year, Mike has also closed numerous complicated transactions for purchasers and sellers of commercial properties, which included multi-use properties and office building complexes.
In addition to purchase, sale and refinance transactions, Mike also represents both commercial landlords and tenants with respect to their leasing needs. His experience and involvement with complex lease transactions throughout the metropolitan area, including Manhattan and Philadelphia, have proven invaluable to his clients seeking to maximize their financial benefits from leasing while minimizing their liability.
Mike also represents developers in the purchase, development and sale of new properties, including obtaining land use approvals. As part of his work for these clients, he creates the proper entities and supporting agreements for the projects to ensure protection and minimized risk.
Large residential lender clients also rely on Mike’s knowledge of lien priority issues involving their quiet title cases litigated throughout New York and New Jersey. Mike and his team have litigated literally hundreds of quiet title cases to successful conclusion. These same lender clients leverage Mike’s expertise to analyze and sell lender owned properties and mortgage assets in a way that complies with new regulations and guidelines.
Another unique aspect of Mike’s practice is his healthcare industry expertise. Mike’s representation of healthcare systems and other healthcare providers regarding their real estate endeavors has evolved into other substantive disciplines of practice. In 2010, a large New Jersey healthcare system reached out to Mike to help obtain a refund of FICA taxes, which had been paid on wages for medical residents throughout the system during the years 1995 through 2005. Mike was the lead attorney on the litigation against the United States of America, the only litigation filed relating to the FICA issue in the Third Circuit, and it resulted in a settlement of more than $20 million for the client.
Outside of his practice, Mike is active in numerous legal industry and charitable and community sports organizations in New Jersey. He is a member of the Morris County Bar Association and the New Jersey State Bar Association, where he serves on the Real Estate Committee. Mike also serves on the Board of Directors of Special Olympics of New Jersey and for the Morristown Athletic Council.
Representative Matters Include:
- Successfully closed a complex $280 million dollar loan on behalf of a lender secured by numerous multi-family properties and business assets of multiple borrowers
- Represented a lender in the successful close of over $200 million in loans to a liquor store chain which involved construction financing and the analysis of estate succession issues
- Negotiated and closed a complicated multi-million dollar services contract between a local technology company and a large global financial securities company
- Represented a proprietary school in the negotiation and finalization of a lease for space in Manhattan
- Represented a New Jersey developer in the successful development and ultimate sale of more than 30 newly built single family homes in a New Jersey community
- August 15, 201825 Bressler Attorneys Recognized by Best Lawyers in America 2019
Congratulations to the following Bressler attorneys for inclusion in the Best Lawyers in America 2019 edition. Cynthia Borrelli (Insurance Law) and Jed Marcus (Labor… Read more
- August 15, 2017Best Lawyers in America 2018 Recognizes Bressler Attorneys
Bressler, Amery & Ross, P.C. is pleased to announce that 26 firm attorneys have been selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2018 list, one of the leg… Read more
- June 28, 2017Bressler, Amery & Ross Opens Office in Washington, DC
Washington, DC -- June 28, 2017 -- The law firm of Bressler, Amery & Ross, P.C. announced today that it has opened an office in Washington, DC.… Read more
- December 20, 2012Bressler Secures Recovery of $30 Million for Barnabas Health Teaching Hospitals
Hospitals and Residents are Awarded FICA Tax Refund… Read more
- April 3, 2012Michael Ostrowsky Appointed to the Board of Directors of Special Olympics of New Jersey
On April 3, 2012, Michael Ostrowsky was appointed to the Board of Directors of Special Olympics of New Jersey. He will help to organize and run the national Special… Read more
- October 27, 2010Michael Ostrowsky to Speak at NYU Graduate Real Estate School
On October 27, 2010, Michael Ostrowsky will be speaking at the NYU Graduate Real Estate School on "The Real Estate Development Process From Entity Choice To Closing… Read more
- March 30, 2011Real Estate Entities and Agreements in the Current Market
On Wednesday, March 30, 2011, Michael Ostrowsky will speak at the NYU Schack Graduate School, Real Estate Program, on “Real Estate Entities and Agreements in the Cur… Read more
- October 27, 2010The Real Estate Development Process From Entity Choice To Closing
On October 27, 2010, Michael Ostrowsky will be speaking at the NYU Graduate Real Estate School on "The Real Estate Development Process From Entity Choice To Closing"… Read more
- January 19, 2010Hot Topics in Construction Industry Law
On January 19, 2010, Bressler, Amery & Ross will conduct a breakfast seminar on hot topics in construction labor law, consumer laws and the construction industry… Read more
- November 16, 2009"The Real Estate Development Process"
On November 16, 2009, Michael L. Ostrowsky, a member of the firm's Real Estate practice group, will speak at the NYU Schack Institute Graduate School to students in … Read more
- June 9, 2016Small Businesses in NJ Have Attractive Financing Options
As interest rates continue to hover around historically low levels, it is a great time for businesses to purchase fixed assets (e.g., land, buildings and equipment) … Read more
- August 8, 2014Law360 Dealmakers Q&A: Bressler Amery's Michael Ostrowsky
Mike Ostrowsky shared his perspective on his real estate practice, upcoming trends and aspects of his practice area that are in need of reform. To read the full inte… Read more
- September 16, 2013Growing Small Businesses: The SBA 504 Loan Program
Awards & Honors
- AV Preeminent Rating by Martindale-Hubbell
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America®, 2018, 2019