Risa Rich concentrates her practice in trial and appellate litigation. At Bressler, Risa represents both national and regional enterprises in broad-ranging and complex disputes related to personal injury, professional liability, insurance, healthcare, and commercial transactions.
As one of Bressler’s senior litigators, Risa advocates tirelessly for clients in trial and appellate courts, bringing her extensive litigation experience to bear on the most challenging issues and decisions facing litigants. The matters Risa is entrusted to handle range from high-value tort and commercial disputes on behalf of Fortune 100 companies to administrative appeal hearings in the Office of Administrative Law. Whether the matter requires in-depth legal analysis, strategic counseling, or delicate negotiations, Risa has a demonstrated record of producing positive and valued-added results for her clients.
Risa is also deeply engaged with diversity initiatives, volunteering with and sponsoring various organizations working to promote diversity in the legal profession and inspiring young people interested in developing a career in the law.
Risa was recently appointed by the New Jersey Supreme Court as a member of the District XA Ethics Committee. Risa previously served two terms on the New Jersey Supreme Court Civil Practice Committee. She also participated in the Pro Bono Initiative created by Stuart Rabner, Chief Justice of the New Jersey Supreme Court, and the New Jersey Office of the Public Defender representing indigent criminal defendants appealing denials of their petitions for post-conviction relief
A graduate of Seton Hall University School of Law, Risa was a member of the Civil Litigation Clinic for the Law School’s Center for Social Justice where she participated in the precedential case of Jones v. Brown before the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit. She was a research assistant, a member of the law school’s Admissions Committee, and Treasurer, then President, of the Black Law Students’ Association.
Risa is an alumna of the Bressler, Amery & Ross summer associate program for law students.
- December 12, 2016Bressler Women's Initiative Network Members Volunteer at the Interfaith Food Pantry of Morristown
During the holiday season, members of the Bressler Women's Initiative Network, Amy Bard, Lisa Gonzalo, Jackie Meyers, Emma Mintz, Jillian Mooney, Karen Murphy, Risa … Read more
- August 4, 2018Bressler's Women's Initiative Network Prepares Breakfast at St. John's Soup Kitchen
On Saturday, August 4, members of Bressler's Women's Initiative Network volunteered at Saint John's Soup Kitchen in Newark, New Jersey.… Read more
- May 18, 2018Metropolitan Black Bar Association's (MBBA) 34th Anniversary Awards Gala
Bressler attorneys Denver Edwards, Natasha Cooper, Risa Rich, Gerard Belfort, John Kofi Osei-Tutu, and Olivia Lee Jones will attend the MBBA's 34th Annual Anniversar… Read more
- May 19, 2017Metropolitan Black Bar Association’s (MBBA) 33rd Anniversary Awards Gala
Bressler attorneys Tracey Salmon-Smith, Denver Edwards, Natasha Cooper, Risa Rich and Gerard Belfort will attend the MBBA’s 33rd Annual Anniversary Gala taking place… Read more
- April 6, 2017Sponsors for Educational Opportunity (SEO) 2017 Annual Awards Dinner
Bressler Associate Risa Rich will attend the SEO Annual Awards Dinner taking place April 6, 2017 at the American Museum of Natural History in New York City.… Read more
- February 22, 2017Ethical Issues for In-House Attorneys: A Traditional Perspective and the Emerging Digital Frontier
Bressler attorneys Denver Edwards, Susan George, Risa Rich and Rafael Rosario will be presenting a CLE seminar to Bank of America on February 22, 2017 at their offic… Read more
- July 10, 2013Bressler to Conduct Presentation to NJ LEEP Interns
On July 10, 2013, Bressler, Amery & Ross Associates, Risa Rich and David Butler will conduct a presentation to the NJ LEEP interns. NJ LEEP is a community-based org… Read more
- November 20, 20122012 Update for Insurance Defense Counsel Seminar
On November 20, 2012, Bressler, Amery & Ross will co-host a 2012 Update for Insurance Defense Counsel Seminar. The speakers will discuss 1) the use of technology to… Read more
- November 21, 2011Ethics Seminar
On November 21, 2011, Bressler, Amery & Ross, along with the Law Office of Baumann & Viscomi will conduct a seminar on ethical issues for the insurance defense couns… Read more
- September 25, 2017ABA Formal Ethics Opinion Reminds Lawyers of Their Duties of Competence and Confidentiality in the Digital Age
Is it permissible for lawyers to send information to their clients in unencrypted e-mails? Indeed, what are a lawyer’s ethical obligations to clients when creating, … Read more
- April 17, 2017Post-Disclosure Agreement Not To Trade May Be A Basis For Liability Under The Misappropriation Theory
Securities Law Alert… Read more
- April 13, 2016NY Appeals Court Rules That Insurer Did Not Waive Flood Exclusion By Failing To Expressly Cite It In Coverage Denial
Insurance Law Alert… Read more
- May 6, 2015Is The Cadillac Tax On Its Way Out?
Insurance Law Alert… Read more
- March 24, 2015Recent Court Rulings Signal New Theories of Recovery Against Health Care Providers For Breaches of Patient Privacy and Inadvertent Disclosures of Protected Health Information
Insurance Law Alert… Read more
- March 1, 2013Update on New Jersey’s Implementation of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act. In a budget address on February 26, 2013, New Jersey Governor Chris Christie announced his plan to expand the S
- February 19, 2013Warning: Attorney-Client Privilege Does Not Extend to Photograph of Pathology Slide Prepared at Instruction of Counsel
- March 1, 2012The Importance of Defining the Scope of Representation
Executing a retainer agreement when commencing a legal matter has become routine. In fact, in most jurisdictions, a written agreement is required. In many cases, how… Read more
- February 23, 2012New Jersey Proposes The Health Benefit Exchange Act to Authorize An American Health Benefit Exchange in New Jersey Pursuant to the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act
- January 7, 2011New Jersey Becomes the 38th State to Join the Insurance Compact