Joelle Simms is an associate in the firm’s Fort Lauderdale, Florida office and focuses her practice on securities and commercial litigation.
Joelle represents broker-dealers and registered representatives in customer and employment disputes, including expungement proceedings, in state and federal court, and in arbitration proceedings throughout the United States before the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA). She also has experience defending corporate clients in complex commercial and tort litigation, including class action litigation, in both state and federal courts.
Joelle is a member of Bressler's Senior Issues: Counseling and Litigation Defense group. The lawyers in this group have a shared interest in providing counsel to corporate clients who confront issues affecting seniors.
Joelle is an active member and serves on the advisory board for the Southeastern Women in Financial Services (“SWIFS”) organization. She also volunteers on committees for the South Florida chapter of the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation.
A cum laude graduate of the University of Miami School of Law, Joelle was a Dean’s Merit Scholarship recipient, served as a staff editor of the University of Miami Law Review, and authored a published Note while in law school. She received her undergraduate degree, summa cum laude, from the University of Richmond, where she was inducted into Phi Beta Kappa.
- November 4, 2017Joelle Simms Named Top 40 Under 40 Outstanding Lawyers of South Florida
Joelle Simms has been nominated by her peers to receive the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation’s 40 Under 40 Outstanding Lawyers of South Florida award.… Read more
- May 14, 2012Bressler Welcomes Joelle Achtman Simms to its Florida Office
Bressler, Amery & Ross, P.C. is pleased to announce that Joelle Achtman Simms joined the firm as an Associate in the firm's Securities Practice Group.… Read more
- September 18, 2018Joelle Simms to Speak at FSDA Fall Industry Outreach Program
Joelle Simms will be speaking at The Florida Securities Dealer Association (FSDA) Fall Industry Outreach Program, "An Evolution of an Industry: Challenges, Opportuni… Read more
- May 15, 2018Third Annual Southeastern Women in Financial Services Spring Symposium
Bressler attorneys Alise Johnson Henry and Joelle Simms will speak at the Third Annual Southeastern Women in Financial Services (SWIFS) on May 15, 2018 at Raymond Ja… Read more
- May 9, 2018Bressler Attorneys Participate in Fort Lauderdale Great Strides Walk
Bressler attorneys Joelle Simms, Wes Holston, Tanya Lambrechts, Randi Spallina, and Corey Stern are participating in the 2018 Fort Lauderdale Great Strides Walk to b… Read more
- February 1, 2018Bressler's Frank Cuccio and Joelle Simms Discuss Seniors and Vulnerable Investors With Florida Clients
The growing demographic of senior investors, along with two new FINRA rules designed to curb exploitation of the elderly,… Read more
- June 20, 2017SIFMA Compliance and Legal Society St. Louis Regional Seminar
Bressler, Amery & Ross is a proud sponsor of the 2017 SIFMA Compliance and Legal Society St. Louis Regional Seminar. The seminar will feature presentations by leadin… Read more
- August 20, 2018Texas Securities Commissioner Takes First Action Under New Law Regarding Financial Exploitation of Vulnerable Adults
Client Alert… Read more
- January 23, 2018International Study Shows In-House Bias Toward Male Outside Counsel
Over the last three years, London-based research firm Acritas has collected more than 10,000 nominations of “stand-out” attorneys made by senior in-house lawyers wor… Read more
- August 24, 2017Where Are the Women Litigators?
Despite comprising half of all law school graduates, women make up only one quarter of the attorneys appearing before New York courts, according to a recent report t… Read more
- October 13, 2015FINRA Continues To Tighten Lid On Expungements
As most in the industry know, under the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority’s (Finra) current reporting structure, a customer complaint appears on a financial ad… Read more
- October 1, 201511th Circ. Creates Flexibility For Courts On FLSA Suits
Law360, New York (October 1, 2015, 11:27 AM ET) In a case involving one of the many unpaid internship arrangements under today’s graduate programs, the Eleventh Circ… Read more
- September 21, 2015Eleventh Circuit Reverses Summary Judgment Entered Against Unpaid Interns Suing Under the FLSA
Labor and Employment Law Alert… Read more
- November 1, 2012Court Case May Help Financial Advisors Clean Up BrokerCheck Records
As those in the financial industry are keenly aware, the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (Finra) has made concentrated efforts over the past few years to inc… Read more
- January 1, 2009Pico Takes a Visit to Cuba: Will Pretext Become Precedent in the Eleventh Circuit
Awards & Honors
- Recipient of the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation's "40 Under 40 Outstanding Lawyers of South Florida" Award, 2017