Relying on experience, hard work, and client feedback, Joelle Simms is committed to offering thoughtful analysis and practical solutions to successfully resolve the problems her clients face.
Joelle represents investment professionals and financial institutions in state and federal courts and in arbitration proceedings throughout the United States. Her expertise includes the defense of claims concerning suitability, churning, selling away, statutory and common law fraud, misrepresentation, negligence, breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, deceptive and unfair trade practice violations, civil theft, elder abuse and exploitation, and failure to supervise. She also has extensive experience representing registered representatives seeking expungement of disclosures from their Central Registration Depository (CRD) records maintained by the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA).
As a complement to her broader financial services practice, Joelle helps manage the firm’s Senior and Vulnerable Investor Group. She advises, trains, and defends corporate clients who confront issues affecting senior investors and regularly speaks on issues in this space.
Clients gain from Joelle's experience investigating and litigating sophisticated claims concerning a vast array of financial products including stocks, municipal and corporate bonds, mutual funds (closed and open-end), floating rate funds, penny stocks, structured products, exchange-traded funds, options, hedge funds, foreign securities, annuities, life insurance policies, credit lines, and margin. She additionally represents financial services companies and their employees in third party matters, including in interpleader and garnishment actions, as well as in connection with subpoenas for documents and testimony.
An avid litigator, Joelle also represents employers and business owners in employment, commercial, and tort matters. She handles claims of negligence, fraudulent misrepresentation, tortious interference, breach of contract, emotional distress, breach of fiduciary duty, consumer protection violations, repayment of promissory notes, wrongful termination, workers’ compensation, discrimination claims under Title VII and the Florida Civil Rights Act, discrimination and failure to accommodate claims under the Americans with Disabilities Act, and retaliation and interference under the Family Medical Leave Act. She also assists clients in responding to charges of discrimination levied with federal and state agencies.
Joelle is an active participant in the Southeastern Women in Financial Services (SWIFS) organization. As co-chair of its education committee and a member of its advisory board, she takes particular interest in gender gap issues and enjoys speaking on topics affecting women in this space. She also volunteers for the South Florida chapter of the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation and serves on the committee for Fort Lauderdale Great Strides, an annual philanthropic walk benefitting the Foundation.
A cum laude graduate of the University of Miami School of Law, Joelle was a Dean’s Merit Scholarship recipient and staff editor of the University of Miami Law Review. She received her undergraduate degree, summa cum laude, from the University of Richmond, where she was inducted into Phi Beta Kappa.
When not practicing law, Joelle enjoys traveling and spending time with her husband and two young children.
- January 7, 2019Bressler, Amery & Ross Promotes Three Attorneys to Principal
The law firm of Bressler, Amery & Ross, P.C. announced today the promotions of David G. Buffa, Joelle A. Simms and Evan Yablonsky to principal. The promotions are e… Read more
- November 4, 2017Joelle Simms Named Top 40 Under 40 Outstanding Lawyers of South Florida
Joelle Simms has been nominated by her peers to receive the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation’s 40 Under 40 Outstanding Lawyers of South Florida award.… Read more
- May 14, 2012Bressler Welcomes Joelle Achtman Simms to its Florida Office
Bressler, Amery & Ross, P.C. is pleased to announce that Joelle Achtman Simms joined the firm as an Associate in the firm's Securities Practice Group.… Read more
- November 6, 2019Principal Joelle Simms to Speak at the Women, Diversity and Change Summit
Principal Joelle Simms will be speaking at the Women, Diversity and Change Summit taking place on November 6, 2019 in Miami,FL.… Read more
- August 22, 2019Joelle Simms and Susan George to Present on Senior Issues and Law & Regulation
Joelle Simms and Susan George will present to a firm client on the topic of "Senior Issues and Law & Regulation" on August 22, 2019 in New York, NY.… Read more
- July 10, 2019Joelle Simms to Speak at SIFMA Senior Investor Protection Regional Workshop
Joelle Simms will be speaking as a panelist on "Protecting Your Senior Clients: Prevention, Identification and Action" at SIFMA's Senior Investor Protection Regional… Read more
- May 14, 2019Bressler Co-Hosts Seniors Webinar Series
Bressler, Amery & Ross and A.D. Banker and Company will co-host a series of webinars titled "Senior & Vulnerable Investor Financial Protection and Reporting." The we… Read more
- October 11, 2018Joelle Simms to Speak at 2018 PIABA Annual Meeting and Securities Law Seminar
Joelle Simms will speak at the Public Investors Arbitration Bar Association Annual Meeting and Securities Law Seminar taking place October 9 - October 12, 2018 at th… Read more
- September 18, 2018Joelle Simms to Speak at FSDA Fall Industry Outreach Program
Joelle Simms will be speaking at The Florida Securities Dealer Association (FSDA) Fall Industry Outreach Program, "An Evolution of an Industry: Challenges, Opportuni… Read more
- September 1, 2018Joelle Simms Discusses Seniors and Vulnerable Investors With Texas Clients
The growing demographic of senior investors, along with new FINRA rules and state and federal legislation designed to curb exploitation of the elderly, highlight the… Read more
- May 15, 2018Third Annual Southeastern Women in Financial Services Spring Symposium
Bressler attorneys Alise Johnson Henry and Joelle Simms will speak at the Third Annual Southeastern Women in Financial Services (SWIFS) on May 15, 2018 at Raymond Ja… Read more
- May 9, 2018Bressler Attorneys Participate in Fort Lauderdale Great Strides Walk
Bressler attorneys Joelle Simms, Wes Holston, Tanya Lambrechts, Randi Spallina, and Corey Stern are participating in the 2018 Fort Lauderdale Great Strides Walk to b… Read more
- February 1, 2018Bressler's Frank Cuccio and Joelle Simms Discuss Seniors and Vulnerable Investors With Florida Clients
The growing demographic of senior investors, along with two new FINRA rules designed to curb exploitation of the elderly,… Read more
- June 20, 2017SIFMA Compliance and Legal Society St. Louis Regional Seminar
Bressler, Amery & Ross is a proud sponsor of the 2017 SIFMA Compliance and Legal Society St. Louis Regional Seminar. The seminar will feature presentations by leadin… Read more
- October 17, 2018More Statutory Employment Discrimination Claims Compelled to Arbitration Under Brokerage Firm's Mandatory Arbitration Program
Labor and Employment Law Alert… Read more
- October 9, 2018Statutory Employment Discrimination Claims Compelled to Arbitration Pursuant to Brokerage Firm's Mandatory Arbitration Program
Labor and Employment Law Alert… Read more
- August 20, 2018Texas Securities Commissioner Takes First Action Under New Law Regarding Financial Exploitation of Vulnerable Adults
Client Alert… Read more
- January 23, 2018International Study Shows In-House Bias Toward Male Outside Counsel
Over the last three years, London-based research firm Acritas has collected more than 10,000 nominations of “stand-out” attorneys made by senior in-house lawyers wor… Read more
- August 24, 2017Where Are the Women Litigators?
Despite comprising half of all law school graduates, women make up only one quarter of the attorneys appearing before New York courts, according to a recent report t… Read more
- October 13, 2015FINRA Continues To Tighten Lid On Expungements
As most in the industry know, under the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority’s (Finra) current reporting structure, a customer complaint appears on a financial ad… Read more
- October 1, 201511th Circ. Creates Flexibility For Courts On FLSA Suits
Law360, New York (October 1, 2015, 11:27 AM ET) In a case involving one of the many unpaid internship arrangements under today’s graduate programs, the Eleventh Circ… Read more
- September 21, 2015Eleventh Circuit Reverses Summary Judgment Entered Against Unpaid Interns Suing Under the FLSA
Labor and Employment Law Alert… Read more
- November 1, 2012Court Case May Help Financial Advisors Clean Up BrokerCheck Records
As those in the financial industry are keenly aware, the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (Finra) has made concentrated efforts over the past few years to inc… Read more
- January 1, 2009Pico Takes a Visit to Cuba: Will Pretext Become Precedent in the Eleventh Circuit
Awards & Honors
- Recipient of the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation's "40 Under 40 Outstanding Lawyers of South Florida" Award, 2017