“Every problem has a solution — and I am uniquely qualified to find that solution in the most efficient and highly effective way possible. With a streamlined and flexible approach, I am able to provide superior results at a much lower cost than counsel at many larger firms.”
Angela Turiano focuses in the representation of brokerage firms and individual registered representatives in customer and employment arbitrations and litigation. Angela has worked as in-house counsel for two major securities firms, so she understands, from an internal perspective, the highly specific needs of her clients. Known for her composure and her commitment to achieving results, Angela’s clients also value that she serves as a FINRA Arbitrator. On many occasions, her experience in this capacity has benefited them greatly in terms of navigating beyond FINRA related obstacles.
Angela is a practiced trial lawyer who has appeared on behalf of corporate clients in New York federal and state courts and in arbitrations before various self-regulatory organizations. In addition to her extensive work in the securities arena, Angela has also represented individuals in both state and federal criminal prosecutions, from inception through trial. Prior to entering private practice, Angela served as an Assistant District Attorney in the Kings County District Attorney’s Office, where she prosecuted and successfully brought to trial multiple felony cases including Burglary, Narcotics Sale, Robbery and Kidnapping.
Angela is also a member of Bressler's Senior and Vulnerable Investor Group. The lawyers in this group have a shared interest in providing counsel to corporate clients who confront issues affecting seniors.
Highly respected throughout the financial services industry, Angela is an active speaker in the securities community, including speaking engagements at the renowned NYU Stern School of Business and client firm roundtables and compliance conferences. She also served as a panelist for the American Conference Institute, where she has lectured on the latest trends in securities litigation.
Angela partners with corporate clients to provide free legal advice at the Neighborhood Entrepreneur Law Project (NELP) small business legal clinic, as well as volunteers annually as a mock arbitrator/trial judge in various law school competitions. Angela also speaks annually at the Lincoln High School Career Day in Yonkers, NY. When Angela is not practicing law, she enjoys cooking, running, golf and skiing. With her infant son in hand, you can find Angela at the Jersey Shore, whether at the beach in the summer, picking pumpkins in the fall or sitting by the fire in the winter months.
Notable Representative Matters:
- Bryan v. UBS, where Angela represented UBS in an arbitration involving alleged improper recommendation of private equity funds, and where all claims, including $2.255 million in damages, were dismissed
- Hulber v. Wachovia, where Angela represented Wachovia in an arbitration involving allegations of unsuitably and overconcentration, and where all claims, including $350,000 in damages, were dismissed and expungement was granted, June 7, 2011
- Morehead v. Wachovia, where Angela represented Wachovia in seminal case involving Wells Fargo financial planning program called “Envision,” and where all claims, including $350,000 in damages, were denied and expungement was granted, October 29, 2010
- Myers v. Wachovia, where Angela represented Wachovia in an arbitration involving allegations of an unsuitable purchase and sale of a variable annuity, and where all claims, including $750,000 in damages, were dismissed and was expungement granted, October 6, 2010
- Wave2Wave Communications Inc. v. Wells Fargo Advisors, LLC and Wells Fargo & Co. et al., New Jersey State Court granted Angela’s motion to dismiss a $5 million fraud claim against Wells Fargo
Product Issues/Specialized Representation:
- On litigation team responsible for management of Merrill Lynch UPS employee concentrated, leveraged position matters, and where representation has resulted in the resolution of these matters for a fraction of the claimed damages, as well as expungements for the financial advisors involved
- Responsible for regional UBS matters involving allegations of unsuitable recommendation of leveraged ETFs resulting in favorable settlements
- May 16, 2013Bressler Partners with UBS to Volunteer at the Neighborhood Entrepreneur Law Project's Legal Clinic
Stefanie Wayco, Tracey Salmon-Smith, David Hantman, Angela Turiano, Frank Cuccio and Jon Kaplon partnered with UBS to volunteer at the Neighborhood Entrepreneur Law … Read more
- January 3, 2012Bressler Elects New Principals
Bressler, Amery & Ross, P.C. is pleased to announce that Angela A. Turiano and Mark D. Knoll have become Principals of the firm. Angela A. Turiano will continue her … Read more
- February 28, 2019Examining the Gender Gap in Litigation and Compliance - A Lawline Webinar Presented by Matthew Plant and Angela Turiano
Bressler Principals Matthew Plant and Angela Turiano will be presenting the Lawline webinar, "Examining the Gender Gap in Litigation and Compliance". The webinar is … Read more
- January 4, 2019Hot Topics and Trends in FINRA Arbitration - A Clear Law Institute Webinar Presented by Matthew Plant and Angela Turiano
Bressler Principals Matthew Plant and Angela Turiano will be presenting the Clear Law Institute webinar, "Hot Topics and Trends in FINRA Arbitration". The webinar is… Read more
- November 29, 2018Jeff Friedman, Angela Turiano and Matt Plant to Speak at New York State Bar Association Securities Arbitration and Mediation 2018: Evolution
The Securities Arbitration and Mediation 2018 seminar and webcast will take place Thursday, November 29, 2018 from 9:00am - 4:45pm.… Read more
- October 15, 2018Hot Topics and Trends in FINRA Arbitration - A Lawline Webinar Presented by Matthew Plant and Angela Turiano
Bressler Principals Matthew Plant and Angela Turiano will be presenting the Lawline webinar, "Hot Topics and Trends in FINRA Arbitration". The webinar is on October … Read more
- April 19, 2018Lawline Webinar Presented by Principals Matthew Plant and Angela Turiano
Bressler Principals Matthew Plant and Angela Turiano will be presenting the Lawline webinar, "Safeguarding Against Financial Exploitation of Senior Investors: What A… Read more
- April 6, 2017New York State Bar Association Securities Arbitration and Mediation 2017: The Courage to Simplify
The Securities Arbitration and Mediation 2017 seminar and webcast will take place Thursday, April 6, 2017 from 9:00am – 4:30pm at 1540 Broadway in New York.… Read more
- April 7, 2014Getting Personal with Securities Litigation in 2014
On April 7, 2014, Angela A. Turiano will be a presenter at a roundtable discussion entitled "Getting Personal with Securities Litigation in 2014." To find out more, … Read more
- January 24, 2013GOAL Webinar: Maximizing the Value Relationship Between In-House and Outside Counsel"
On January 24, 2013, Angela Turiano, Member, and Tracey Salmon-Smith, Counsel, of Bressler, Amery & Ross, P.C. will participate in the Goal Outstanding Association o… Read more
- December 1, 2012Compliance Roundtable, First Clearing
Angela Turiano will present "Mock Arbitrations" at the Compliance Roundtable, First Clearing in St. Louis, MO in December of 2012.… Read more
- June 1, 2012Wells Fargo Advisors Branch Manager Conference
Angela Turiano will present on "Mock Arbitrations" at the Wells Fargo Advisors Branch Manager Conference in June 2012 in St. Louis, MO.… Read more
- November 5, 2018Are Quotas the Answer to the Gender Gap at the Top?
In a recent article for the Women Advocate—"Higher But Unbroken: The Glass Ceiling at the Top of the Legal Profession"—I discussed the demonstrated underrepresentati… Read more
- August 21, 2018Higher, but Unbroken: The Glass Ceiling at the Top of the Legal Profession
"I ask no favor for my sex; all I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks."… Read more
- April 26, 2018Understanding Gender Differences to Reduce Unconscious Bias in the Workplace
While gender stereotypes can, at times, be off-putting, there is a value in their analysis.… Read more
- January 17, 2018Do Narcissists Rule the Day?
It goes without saying that a certain level of self-confidence is essential to becoming a successful leader.… Read more
- November 21, 2017A Woman's Guide to Negotiation: Using Your Innate Strengths to Get the Best Deal
Women who negotiate in their practices are used to seeing a familiar scene.… Read more
- November 15, 2017How to be and Remain Confident in the Face of Adversity
As lawyers, we have chosen a profession that is high-stress with a small margin for error.… Read more
- August 18, 2017The Need for Female Voices in Male Dominated Courtrooms
It’s the year 2000 and I am an eager, young attorney fresh out of the Brooklyn District Attorney’s Office, now working for a prominent criminal defense attorney. I a… Read more
- June 5, 2013Female Attorneys of Color Continue to Struggle in Corporate Law Departments
To view the article, download the PDF.… Read more
- January 14, 2013FINRA Arbitration Choice: Considerations for IAs
Traditionally, disagreements between registered investment advisers and their customers have been resolved in state and federal courts or before arbitration forums s… Read more
- September 6, 2012Gender Gap in Equity Partnership Improves at a Slow Pace
While the vast majority of law firms offer various programs and initiatives aimed at promoting women, the actual percentage of women promoted to equity partner has i… Read more
- May 9, 2012Maintaining Friendships Between In-House and Outside Counsel
There are many circumstances where lawyers and clients maintain friendships without issue. For example, the family lawyer who after 20+ years of service is considere… Read more
- December 16, 2011NAWL Finds That Fewer Female Lawyers Are Entering Big-Firm Practice
The National Association of Women Lawyers (NAWL) recently released the results of their Survey on the Retention and Promotion of Women in Law Firms, which found, for… Read more
- November 14, 2011The Importance of Promoting Yourself as a Female Attorney
As a young lawyer, I made the mistake of thinking that hard work was enough. If I produced quality work product and won the majority of my cases, my career would be … Read more