“My goal is to listen and understand the framework in which my clients operate. I design practical legal solutions that work in tandem with my client’s long and short term commercial objectives, while seeking to limit their liability whenever possible.”
Edwin Zipf is one of the longest tenured attorneys at Bressler, joining the firm in 1986 and becoming a Principal in 1991. Ed assists in managing the firm’s Securities Litigation and Regulation practice, overseeing the current trends and developments that impact the firm’s clients.
Ed brings decades of seasoned, efficient and practical experience serving the financial services industry. Ed represents brokerage firms, registered individuals and investment advisors in a wide variety of matters including customer complaints, prime brokerage, clearing issues, complex products, employee conflicts and interfirm issues.
Ed is a strong listener who gains an understanding of the client’s business in order to provide personal advice that is contoured to the matter at hand. Ed has extensive experience in arbitration, mediation, internal investigations, regulatory proceedings and regulatory investigations before the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA), the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) and state regulators. As a result, Ed is highly effective at conflict resolution on behalf of institutional clients.
Ed is also a member of Bressler's Senior and Vulnerable Investor Group. The lawyers in this group have a shared interest in providing counsel to corporate clients who confront issues affecting seniors.
A vibrant speaker, Ed has been invited to present at various financial industry conferences and has lectured on alternative dispute resolution at Seton Hall University School of Law. He is a member of the American Bar Association, the Morris County and New Jersey State Bar Associations, the Securities Regulation and Litigation Section of the New Jersey State Bar Association, and the Compliance and Legal Division of the Securities Industry and Financial Markets Association.
When Ed is not practicing law, he sits on the boards of various charitable and community not-for-profit organizations, as well as volunteers for local charities. Ed enjoys the outdoors and recharges himself by spending time at the Jersey shore.
- Successful recovery of damages for a brokerage firm where its customer attempted to avoid a trade by alleging failure to disclose material information
- Successful defense of a brokerage firm in an arbitration alleging unsuitability and failure to disclose the risks associated with the firm’s proprietary product, and where the outcome assisted the client in quashing a potential series of claims involving that proprietary product
- Representation of a small broker/dealer in a FINRA regulatory inquiry involving a complex trading strategy
- Successful defense of a prime broker in an arbitration filed by an introducing firm alleging a failure to timely follow instructions and properly execute
- Successful defense of a clearing firm in an arbitration filed by an introducing firm claiming fraudulent inducement in entering into the clearing agreement and breach of contract
- Successful defense of a brokerage firm and registered individual in the sale of preferred stock where the customer alleged unsuitability and material misrepresentation
- Defense of an investment bank in matters pending in state court and federal bankruptcy court alleging theft of a proprietary business model
- Representation of registered representatives in successful expungement applications before FINRA and state and federal courts
- February 3, 2018Bressler Principal Ed Zipf to Participate in the 12th Annual Valentine Plunge in Support of the Fight Against ALS
Ed Zipf will be diving into the Atlantic Ocean on Saturday, February 3, 2018 off of Manasquan Beach, New Jersey in support of the fight against ALS and in memory of … Read more
- February 4, 2017Bressler Principal Ed Zipf to Take a Plunge in Support of the Fight Against ALS
Ed Zipf will be diving into the Atlantic Ocean on Saturday, February 4, 2017 off of Manasquan Beach, New Jersey in support of the fight against ALS and in memory of … Read more
- May 18, 20162016 NJSBA Annual Meeting and Convention
Bressler Principals Diana Manning and Ed Zipf will speak at the 2016 New Jersey State Bar Association (NJSBA) Annual Meeting and Convention in Atlantic City. On Wedn… Read more
- July 30, 2015PLI's Securities Arbitration 2015
Bressler Principal, Ed Zipf, will speak on “Arbitration Practicum Examination of the Broker in Product Cases” at the Practising Law Institute’s (PLI’s) Securities Ar… Read more
- March 20, 20112011 SIFMA Compliance and Legal Society Annual Seminar
On March 22, 2011 Dominick Evangelista will be a panelist at the SIFMA Compliance and Legal Society Annual Seminar. Topics will include: Arbitration I: Impact of Pub… Read more
Awards & Honors
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent Rating