Jack Ballard is the Managing Principal of Bressler’s Houston office. He has substantial experience and expertise in securities litigation and arbitration matters, commercial litigation and employment disputes. Jack is Board Certified in Civil Trial Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.
After law school Jack moved to Houston and started his career at Hutcheson & Grundy LLP, where he became a partner. He started his own firm in 2001 and, with his longtime colleague Don Littlefield, established Ballard & Littlefield, LLP in 2009. He is a member of the Houston Bar Foundation and the Texas Association of Civil Trial and Appellate Specialists.
Awards & Accolades
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Rating
Throughout his career Jack has demonstrated an extraordinary ability to obtain successful results in disputes of various types. His experience has included the following:
- In his representation of national and regional financial firms, Jack has served as lead counsel in hundreds of lawsuits and arbitration proceedings relating to investments or employment issues.
- Jack has handled numerous regulatory matters for financial institution clients, including matters before the Texas Securities Board and FINRA.
- Jack’s commercial litigation experience included his representation of a national energy company in a complex and substantial contract dispute in state court and in subsequent appeals. Jack obtained a summary judgment, which was affirmed by the Texas Supreme Court. The Supreme Court’s decision established an important principle of Texas contract law.
- Jack defended a lawsuit filed against a national credit card company in a small county in central Texas. If successful the suit would have prevented the company from conducting business within the Lone Star State. Jack obtained a summary judgment in the trial court. The decision was affirmed on appeal.
- Jack served as co-counsel in several Texas cases which established the applicability of the employment-at-will rule to various claims by dismissed employees.
- On behalf of a national direct mail firm, Jack defended two major lawsuits brought by the Texas Attorney General asserting alleged violations of the Texas Deceptive Sales Practices Act ("DTPA"). The cases were successfully resolved prior to trial.
News & Insights
News & Alerts
Associations & Organizations
- Board Certified, Civil Trial Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization (1993)
- Member, Houston Bar Foundation
- Member, Texas Association of Civil Trial and Appellate Specialists
- Senior Contributing Editor, Securities Litigation Commentator (2004-2020)
Get to Know Jack
Get to Know Jack
Jack has been married for more than 30 years to his wonderful wife, Ann. They have two children, Kate and Matt. As longtime residents of West University Place, Jack and Ann often take early-morning walks around the neighborhood with Zoe, their English Lab. Jack also enjoys golf on the weekends, and Ann likes to cook and garden.
Areas of Practice
- Southern Methodist University School of Law, J.D., 1985
- Texas Christian University, M.A., 1982
- Texas Christian University, B.A., cum laude, 1978
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court Western District of Texas
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit