Relying on experience, hard work, and client feedback, Joelle Simms is committed to offering thoughtful analysis and practical solutions to successfully resolve the challenges her clients face.
Joelle represents investment professionals and financial institutions in state and federal courts and in arbitration proceedings throughout the United States. Her expertise includes the defense of claims concerning suitability, churning, selling away, statutory and common law fraud, misrepresentation, negligence, breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, deceptive and unfair trade practice violations, civil theft, elder abuse and exploitation, and failure to supervise. She also has extensive experience representing registered representatives seeking expungement of disclosures from their Central Registration Depository records maintained by the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority.
As a complement to her broader financial services practice, Joelle helps manage the firm’s Senior and Vulnerable Investor Group. She advises, trains, and defends corporate clients who confront issues affecting senior investors and regularly speaks on issues in this space.
Clients gain from Joelle's experience investigating and litigating sophisticated claims concerning a vast array of financial products including stocks, municipal and corporate bonds, mutual funds (closed and open-end), floating rate funds, penny stocks, structured products, exchange-traded funds, options, hedge funds, foreign securities, annuities, life insurance policies, credit lines, and margin. She additionally represents financial services companies and their employees in third party matters, including in interpleader and garnishment actions, as well as in connection with subpoenas for documents and testimony.
An avid litigator, Joelle also represents employers and business owners in employment, commercial, and tort matters, and has experience defending residential and commercial first party property disputes. She handles claims of negligence, fraudulent misrepresentation, tortious interference, breach of contract, emotional distress, breach of fiduciary duty, consumer protection violations, repayment of promissory notes, wrongful termination, workers’ compensation, discrimination claims under Title VII and the Florida Civil Rights Act, discrimination and failure to accommodate claims under the Americans with Disabilities Act, and retaliation and interference under the Family Medical Leave Act. She also assists clients in responding to charges of discrimination levied with federal and state agencies.
Joelle is an active participant in the Southeastern Women in Financial Services organization. As co-chair of its education committee and a member of its advisory board, she takes particular interest in gender gap issues and enjoys speaking on topics affecting women in this space. She also volunteers for the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation.
A cum laude graduate of the University of Miami School of Law, Joelle was a Dean’s Merit Scholarship recipient and staff editor of the University of Miami Law Review. She received her undergraduate degree, summa cum laude, from the University of Richmond, where she was inducted into Phi Beta Kappa.
Awards & Accolades
- Recipient of the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation's "40 Under 40 Outstanding Lawyers of South Florida" Award, 2017
News & Insights
- Firm News, 08.03.2020
- How Are Firms Dealing With Their Aging Workforce? NASAA Publishes Paper on Financial Professionals with Diminished CapacityAlert, 07.28.2020
- Firm News, 01.07.2019
- Firm News, 11.04.2017
- Firm News, 05.14.2012
Speaking Engagements & Events
- Webinar, 10.14.2020
- Speaking Engagement, September 23-24, 2020
- Webinar, 05.12.2020
- Webinar, 04.29.2020
- Client CE Course: Protecting Your Senior & Vulnerable Clients: Prevention, Identification and ReportingSpeaking Engagement, Fort Lauderdale, FL, 03.04.2020
- Event, Fort Lauderdale, FL, 02.20.2020
- Speaking Engagement, Miami, FL, 02.13.2020
- Speaking Engagement, Orlando, FL, 01.17.2020
- Speaking Engagement, New York, NY, 08.22.2019
- Speaking Engagement, Cincinnati, Ohio, 07.10.2019
- Webinar, 05.14.2019
- Bressler Attorneys to Co-Host Webinar " Senior & Vulnerable Investor Financial Protection and Reporting"Webinar, 04.10.2019
- Speaking Engagement, Bonita Springs, Florida, 10.11.2018
- Speaking Engagement, Tampa, FL, 09.18.2018
- Speaking Engagement, 09.2018
- Speaking Engagement, Texas, 09.01.2018
- Speaking Engagement, St. Petersburg, FL, 05.15.2018
- Event, Ft. Lauderdale, FL, 05.09.2018
- Speaking Engagement, 02.2018
- Bressler's Frank Cuccio and Joelle Simms Discuss Seniors and Vulnerable Investors With Florida ClientsSpeaking Engagement, Florida, 02.01.2018
- Seminar, 06.20.2017
- Publication, Financial Advisor, 02.14.2020
- Alert, 12.05.2019
- More Statutory Employment Discrimination Claims Compelled to Arbitration Under Brokerage Firm's Mandatory Arbitration ProgramAlert, 10.17.2018
- Statutory Employment Discrimination Claims Compelled to Arbitration Pursuant to Brokerage Firm's Mandatory Arbitration ProgramAlert, 10.09.2018
- Texas Securities Commissioner Takes First Action Under New Law Regarding Financial Exploitation of Vulnerable AdultsAlert, 08.20.2018
- Publication, American Bar Association, 01.23.2018
- Publication, American Bar Association , 08.24.2017
- Publication, Financial Advisor , 10.13.2015
- Publication, Law360 , 10.01.2015
- Alert, 09.21.2015
- Publication, Financial Advisor , 11.01.2012
Get to know Joelle
Get to know Joelle
When not practicing law, Joelle enjoys traveling and spending time with her husband and two young children.
Areas of Practice
- University of Miami School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 2010
- University of Richmond, B.A., summa cum laude, 2007
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Florida
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Texas