Michael Morris is an associate in the firm’s Insurance and Business practice groups and concentrates his practice on representing and advising insurance industry clients in the handling of regulatory matters. Michael has significant experience counseling life/health insurers, property/casualty insurers, managed care organizations, third-party administrators and insurance producers through transactions subject to regulatory scrutiny. Complimenting his transactional regulatory practice, Michael regularly litigates disputes involving insurance regulatory issues before state and federal courts, as well as various administrative forums.
As an active member of the firm’s Business practice, Michael frequently counsels a broad array of clients in forming new businesses, advising on corporate governance issues, and negotiating and drafting contracts underlying significant business transactions such as asset acquisitions, stock purchases and mergers.
Michael is also a member of Bressler's Senior and Vulnerable Investor Group . The lawyers in this group have a shared interest in providing counsel to corporate clients who confront issues affecting seniors.
Prior to entering the practice of law, Michael was an analyst with BlackRock Financial Management, focusing on the management of U.S. insurers’ investment portfolios.
Michael joined Bressler as an associate after graduating magna cum laude from Villanova University School of Law, where he was elected to the Order of the Coif and served as an associate editor of the Villanova Environmental Law Journal. During law school, Michael interned for two federal courts in Philadelphia: the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, in the Appellate Mediation Program; and the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania, in the chambers of Magistrate Judge David Strawbridge. When not interning in the federal courts, he worked for the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission’s Office of Compliance Inspections and Examinations through the Summer Honors Law Program.
Michael received his undergraduate degree, cum laude, from Georgetown University, with majors in Government and English. During college, he served two internships with the U.S. House of Representatives and worked summers for AXA Equitable.
Michael is an alumnus of the firm’s summer associate program.
News & Insights
- Firm News, 06.23.2020
- Event, 02.20.2020
- Firm News, 05.2019
- Firm News, 11.12.2018
- Firm News, 09.04.2012
- Publication, Law360 , 01.17.2019
- Alert, 12.2018
- New Jersey Department of Banking and Insurance Guidance on Implementing New Out-of-Network Cost Containment and Arbitration LawAlert, 11.2018
- Agents and Brokers Fight Back Against Application of the Best Interest Standard in the Sale of New York ContractsAlert, 11.2018
- Alert, 01.19.2018
- Alert, 08.21.2017
- Alert, 09.13.2016
- Publication, Law360, 09.09.2016
- NJ Department of Banking and Insurance Proposes Rules To Increase the Capital and Surplus Requirements for Health OrganizationsAlert, 04.06.2016
- Publication, Law360, 01.22.2016
- Publication, Law360 , 10.26.2015
- U.S. Supreme Court Upholds Subsidies for Health Insurance Purchased on Either a State or Federal ExchangeAlert, 06.26.2015
- Publication, Law360, 06.15.2015
- Alert, 05.12.2015
- New Jersey General Assembly Proceeds With Bill to Comprehensively Regulate Ride Sharing Based on Perceived Gap in Insurance CoverageAlert, 04.01.2015
- Artificial Joint Replacements Do Not Constitute Prosthetics For Application of New Jersey Workers' Compensation Statute of LimitationsAlert, 03.02.2015
- Alert, 07.23.2014
- Alert, 12.20.2013
Associations & Organizations
- New Jersey Bar Association
- New York Bar Association
Areas of Practice
- Villanova University School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude, 2012
- Georgetown University, A.B., cum laude, 2008
- New Jersey
- New York
- North Carolina
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit