Pierre Yanney is a patent attorney in the Intellectual Property practice at Bressler Amery & Ross.
With over 25 years of experience in patent law, Pierre focuses his practice in patent litigation and prosecution. He merges notable courtroom experience with a career as an engineer to maximize IP portfolios and defend clients from competitors. Pierre’s areas of expertise include telecommunications, RFID systems, medical electronics and devices, electronic control systems, and semiconductor devices.
Pierre has appeared numerous times in front of both the Patent Trial and Appeal Board and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, scoring wins for clients ranging from a disposable email address service, to one of the largest elevator companies in the world.
Awards & Accolades
- New York Super Lawyers 2009-2019
- The Legal 500 United States (2018)
- Recommended in Intellectual Property: Patent - Prosecution (Including Reexamination and Post-Grant Proceedings)
- Recommended in Intellectual Property: Patent Litigation - Full Coverage
- Obtained victory at the Patent Trial and Appeal Board for a provider of wireless RF motion-sensing controllers, confirming the complete invalidation of a patent related to a 3D “air mouse” electronic pointing device used for screen control, held by a competitor. Later, successfully argued at the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, which affirmed the earlier decision.
- Represented a division of one of the world’s largest elevator companies in a patent-infringement lawsuit against a competitor. The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit reversed a lower court ruling and remanded the case to the District of Delaware, holding that the district court erroneously construed the patent claims for a modernized elevator system.
- Won summary judgment of non-infringement on behalf of a disposable email address service, sued for patent infringement in connection with email alias address technology.
- Defended a manufacturer and distributor of health care products against one of the country’s most prominent specialty retailers. Convinced the court not to grant a request for a temporary restraining order and preliminary injunction, which would have prevented the manufacturer and distributor from selling its electronic air purifiers.
- Serves as a patent advisor for the companies of the NJIT Enterprise Development Center high-tech start-up incubator.
- Extensive experience with electronic systems and controls, telecommunications, RFID components and systems, and electronic medical devices and instruments.
News & Insights
News & Alerts
Articles & Publications
- Article, 02.24.2021
Associations & Organizations
- American Bar Association
- PTAB Bar Association
Areas of Practice
- J.D., Rutgers University School of Law, 1993, with honors; Order of the Coif
- M.S., Electrical Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1988
- B.S., Electrical Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1988
- New York
- New Jersey
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, Registration No. 35,418