Benjamin Akselrad is an attorney with Bressler's Private Wealth Management practice group. Ben is skilled in explaining complicated legal issues in simple terms so that clients understand their options, and mainly advises individuals, businesses, and non-profit organizations.
For individuals, Ben assists with estate planning, estate administration, asset protection, and philanthropic matters. For businesses, matters focus on formation issues, raising capital, reorganizations, succession planning, acquisitions, and sales. Lastly, for non-profit organizations, Ben helps them build from the ground up and advises on their ongoing governance issues. Ben also represents clients before the IRS and state tax authorities. He strives to resolve disputes out of court, but litigates when necessary.
Ben is particularly interested in assisting clients with art law matters and charitable causes. To keep up-to-date on those matters, Ben serves on the New York City Bar Association’s Art Law Committee and previously served on the Non-Profit Organizations Committee.
In his spare time, he volunteers on the Emerging Leaders Committee for the Calvary Hospital.
Prior to joining Bressler, Ben earned a Tax LL.M. masters degree from the NYU School of Law, a J.D. degree from Rutgers Law School, and a Bachelor of Science in Business degree from the Kelley School of Business at Indiana University. Ben also completed two judicial clerkships before joining Bressler.
- Preparing estate, inheritance, and gift tax returns for senior executives with significant wealth
- Drafting wills, trusts, and other estate planning documents for young families, high net worth individuals, and a diplomat
- Advising clients on multi-million dollar sales to grantor trusts
- Terminating, severing, and merging trusts
- Counseling trustees of dynasty trusts regarding complex GST and income tax questions
- Representing corporate trustees and individual trustees in fiduciary litigation matters
- Defending clients in IRS examinations and collection matters
- Business succession planning for multinational corporations
- Reorganized three international companies
- Administering an incentive stock option plan, LLC equity compensation plan, and phantom stock plan
- Negotiated deeds of gift and pledge agreements involving multi-million dollar assets with well-known museums, universities, and donor advised funds.
- Advised on the donation of a valuable art collection to a major museum
- Created a tax efficient endowment at an international university to subsidize research in neuroscience
- Advising private foundations, private operating foundations, and public charities on tax and governance matters
- Preparing applications for tax exemption, annual non-profit tax returns, and state registrations for non-profit entities
- Coordinating the charitable donations of multi-million dollar interests in closely held businesses
News & Insights
Speaking Engagements & Events
- Webinar, April - May
- Speaking Engagement, New York, NY, 02.04.2020
Associations & Organizations
- Member, New York City Bar Association, Art Law Committee
- Member, Emerging Leaders Committee, Calvary Hospital
Get to Know Ben
Get to Know Ben
In his spare time, Ben volunteers on the Emerging Leaders Committee for the Calvary Hospital.
Areas of Practice
- New York University School of Law, LL.M. in Taxation, 2016
- Rutgers Law School, J.D., 2014
- Kelley School of Business, Indiana University, B.S.B., 2010
- New Jersey
- New York
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey