For 40 years, Mike Ostrowsky has represented real estate owners/operators, lending institutions, commercial landlords, commercial tenants, title companies and all parties that are involved in any way in the real estate and business world. Mike chairs the firm’s Real Estate practice, and is also a senior member of the Corporate and Commercial Transactions team. Mike works diligently for his clients to insure that they have the proper corporate structure and organization to accomplish what they need in the business world, and helps existing institutional and private clients prepare the necessary documents to finalize purchases, sales, loans and leases as needed.
Throughout the course of his career, lenders have relied on Mike’s expertise to guide them through complex regulatory and documentation issues in order to close their loan transactions. These transactions have ranged from $30 million to $300 million and involved multi-family properties and retail store chains. In addition to lending transactions, Mike has closed thousands of transactions for purchasers and sellers of commercial properties, which include multi-use properties and office building complexes.
In addition to purchase, sale and refinance transactions, Mike also represents both commercial landlords and tenants with respect to their leasing needs. His experience and involvement with commercial lease transactions throughout the metropolitan area, including Manhattan and Philadelphia, have proven invaluable to his clients seeking to maximize their financial benefits from leasing while minimizing their liability.
Large residential lender clients also rely on Mike’s knowledge of lien priority issues and title insurance considerations. Mike and his team litigate a large volume of quiet title cases to cure defects in chain of titles throughout New York and New Jersey. A key aspect of this work is staying abreast of changes in laws and regulations regarding all title issues.
A particularly unique aspect of Mike’s practice is his healthcare industry expertise. Mike’s representation of healthcare systems and other healthcare providers regarding their real estate endeavors has evolved into other substantive disciplines of practice. In 2010, a large New Jersey healthcare system reached out to Mike to help obtain a refund of FICA taxes, which had been paid on wages for medical residents throughout the system during the years 1995 through 2005. Mike was the lead attorney on the litigation against the United States of America, the only litigation filed relating to the FICA issue in the Third Circuit, and it resulted in a settlement of more than $20 million for the client.
Outside of his practice, Mike takes great pride in his involvement with Special Olympics New Jersey (“SONJ”), and currently serves as Chairman of the Board of Trustees.
Awards & Accolades
- Selected to the list of Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent lawyers
- Included in the list of the Best Lawyers in America®, 2018-2022
No aspect of this or any advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. A description of the award methodologies can be found here.
Representative Matters Include:
- Successfully closed a complex $280 million dollar loan on behalf of a lender secured by numerous multi-family properties and business assets of multiple borrowers
- Represented a lender in the successful close of over $200 million in loans to a liquor store chain which involved construction financing and the analysis of estate succession issues
- Negotiated and closed a complicated multi-million dollar services contract between a local technology company and a large global financial securities company
- Represented a proprietary school in the negotiation and finalization of a lease for space in Manhattan
- Represented a New Jersey developer in the successful development and ultimate sale of more than 30 newly built single family homes in a New Jersey community
News & Insights
News & Alerts
- Firm News, 11.04.2021
- 44 Bressler Attorneys Recognized By Best Lawyers in America 2022, Including 1 “Lawyer of the Year” and 13 “Ones to Watch”Firm News, 08.19.2021
- Firm News, 07.19.2021
- Firm News, 08.20.2020
- Firm News, 08.15.2019
- Firm News, 01.01.2019
- Firm News, 08.15.2018
- Firm News, 08.15.2017
- Firm News, 06.28.2017
- Firm News, 12.20.2012
- Firm News, 04.03.2012
- Firm News, 10.27.2010
Speaking Engagements & Events
- Webinar, 05.13.2020
- Speaking Engagement, 03.30.2011
- Speaking Engagement, 10.27.2010
- Event, 01.19.2010
- Speaking Engagement, 01.19.2010
- Speaking Engagement, 11.16.2009
Articles & Publications
- Publication, New Jersey Law Journal , 10.17.2019
- Publication, New Jersey Law Journal , 06.09.2016
- Publication, Law 360 , 08.08.2014
Associations & Organizations
- Member, Lending and Foreclosure Division, Essex County Bar Association
- Chairman of the Board of Trustees, Special Olympics New Jersey
Get to Know Mike
Get to Know Mike
Mike's leisure time largely revolves around spending time with his wife and 3 post-college aged children, whether it be dinners in the metropolitan New York area, or vacationing wherever there are beaches and golf courses.
Areas of Practice
- Seton Hall University School of Law, J.D., 1979
- Bowling Green State University, B.A., 1976
- New Jersey
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey