Alex Sabo’s litigation practice includes the representation of financial services firms and insurers in a myriad of cases. He has substantial courtroom experience, having tried civil and criminal cases and argued appeals in both state and federal court. Alex’s representation of the financial services industry includes regulatory investigations and enforcement actions, arbitrations and civil litigation, including class actions. His insurance defense practice generally includes cases with complex issues and substantial damages claims. He is an experienced litigator in bankruptcy court, representing creditors and defendants against whom an adversary proceeding is filed.
A true trial lawyer and passionate advocate, Alex consistently executes and has achieved impactful resolution and forward thinking, trial ready dispute resolution strategy. He strives to deliver industry leading value and an unwavering focus on meeting his client’s overall objectives at an appropriate cost.
Alex’s advocacy of insurers involves complicated and significant issues, including complex single, multi-plaintiff and class action claims. His cases have included a myriad of issues such as products liability, property damage coverage, regulatory compliance and sales of unregistered securities.
In addition, Alex offers his clients substantial experience handling employment law matters. His track record of success includes defending national collective actions based on overtime claims, representing clients responding to charges of discrimination filed with the EEOC, and jury trials in state and federal court for alleged gender discrimination, sexual harassment, age discrimination and retaliation.
Alex is also a member of Bressler's Senior and Vulnerable Investor Group. The lawyers in this group have a shared interest in providing counsel to corporate clients who confront issues affecting seniors.
Alex is an active member of SIFMA, planning and participating in workshops, breakfast meetings and seminars. He regularly speaks on behalf of the Florida Securities Dealers Association regarding issues significant to securities firms and their registered employees. In addition to speaking, Alex is also the longest serving member of the Board of Governors of the Florida Securities Dealers Association ('FSDA'). Both in 2016 and 2018, Alex served as the president of FSDA, the nation’s oldest securities association representing the interests of securities firms and investment advisers. He is a member of its Legislative Committee, Elder Fraud Education Committee, Industry Outreach Seminar Committee and Membership Committee.
Before joining Bressler, Alex served as an Assistant Public Defender from 1979-82; a Staff Attorney and Chief for the Branch of Investigations and Enforcement of the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission from 1982-84; and Corporate Counsel for Raymond James Financial, Inc. from 1984-89. He has practiced law with Keith Olin, a Bressler partner in the firm’s Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, office since June 1989.
Awards & Accolades
- Martindale-Hubbell BV® Preeminent Rating
- Creatively used a Florida Statute relating to powers of attorneys to file a civil action in state court and prevent an attempt to defraud an elderly client of a broker-dealer.
- Filed an amicus curiae brief in the Florida Supreme Court on behalf of a state securities association that supported a successful appeal by a securities broker-dealer challenging a lower court appellate decision, which had excluded the statute of limitations as a defense in arbitration
- Obtained vacatur of a multi-million arbitration award in federal district court as a result of arbitrator misconduct in failing to disclose background facts raising a reasonable presumption of partiality
- Avoided regulatory action as a result of corrective measures implemented at Alex’s suggestion at the beginning of the regulatory inquiry
- Won a defense verdict on a $15,000,000 products liability claim brought against an insurer in which the jury deliberated for less than an hour before finding in favor of the insurer
- Successfully represented a broker-dealer client in bankruptcy court and obtained a decision that the broker-dealer client’s judgment against the debtor survived the bankruptcy discharge
- Avoided application of a proposal for settlement to award substantial attorney’s fees on the ground that the proposal was not made in good faith
News & Insights
- Florida Office of Financial Regulation Announces Interim Guidelines Under Florida’s New Report and Hold LawAlert, Financial Institutions Law Alert, 07.07.2020
- Alert, Financial Institutions Law Alert, 07.01.2020
- Alert, 03.12.2020
- Alert, Financial Institutions Law Alert, 03.03.2020
- Alert, Financial Institutions Law Alert, 02.20.2020
- Publication, 01.21.2016
- Firm News, 06.15.2015
- Publication, South Florida Business Journal , 05.17.2013
- Firm News, 05.17.2013
Speaking Engagements & Events
- Webinar, 05.14.2019
- Bressler Attorneys to Co-Host Webinar " Senior & Vulnerable Investor Financial Protection and Reporting"Webinar, 04.10.2019
- Speaking Engagement, 03.19.2018
- Event, Orlando, FL, 03.18.2018-03.21.2018
- Seminar, 03.19.2017
- Seminar, 06.17.2014
- Event, 03.31.2014
- Speaking Engagement, 03.05.2014
- Publication, Financial Planning , 09.04.2019
- Alert, 03.13.2019
- The Supreme Court Of Florida To Florida's District Courts Of Appeal – Stop "Nitpicking" Proposals For Settlement!Alert, 10.09.2018
- Alert, 04.16.2018
- Eleventh Circuit Finds That No Private Right of Action Exists to Sue FINRA for Violations of its Internal RulesAlert, 11.13.2017
- Alert, 10.26.2017
- Alert, 09.13.2017
- D.C. Circuit Holds SEC Administrative Law Judges Are Not Officers Under the Appointments Clause of the U.S. ConstitutionAlert, 08.19.2016
- Alert, 05.31.2016
- Alert, 05.27.2016
- Alert, 07.30.2015
- Florida Appellate Court Holds that Class Action Claim Covered Under Policy Even Though Claim Filed Outside of Policy PeriodAlert, 04.11.2014
- Alert, 03.19.2014
- Insurer's Voluntary Payment Under Automobile Policy Triggers Award of Attorneys' Fees to Insured in Related LitigationAlert, 03.11.2014
- Alert, 03.04.2014
- Alert, 12.17.2013
- Alert, 05.17.2013
- Alert, 03.12.2013
Associations & Organizations
- Securities Industry and Financial Markets Association (SIFMA), Compliance and Legal Society
- Florida Securities Dealers Association
Areas of Practice
- University of Dayton School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 1978
- University of South Florida, B.A., Analytical Economics, 1975
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Florida
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit