Joseph Calabrese is a Principal in the firm's Financial Institutions Practice Group.
With 15 years of Securities Litigation/Regulatory experience, Joseph is Wall Street veteran including the last 11 years as an Executive Director and senior member of the Wealth Management Client Litigation Group for Morgan Stanley. Prior to that, he served as an Associate General Counsel for five years at Citigroup.
Firmly positioned on the litigation front lines during the tech wreck, the credit crisis, and the tidal wave of regulation that followed, Joseph provides his clients with the actual real-world, battle-hardened, experience which is crucial to success. His unique ability to “see around corners” and anticipate an adversary’s moves is fashioned by years of experience.
Joseph’s approach begins by listening to his clients and appreciating their unique circumstances. Precisely understanding the best interests of his clients and balancing them with the facts of any case imparts the surest path to success.
Joseph spent the first 13 years of his career as prosecutor with the Kings County D.A.’s Office, the majority of that time Senior Assistant District Attorney in the Homicide Bureau. He is no stranger to the courtroom or any other adversarial setting.
While at Morgan Stanley, he headed the Early Dispute Resolution Team, a 30-member group consisting of attorneys, analysts and paralegals located in New York, Baltimore and Mumbai. These three groups were deeply rooted in the essential function of all pre-litigation resolution and regulatory reporting, including all third party subpoena litigation. He was instrumental in the integration of Morgan Stanley’s private and mortgage banking institutions into the wealth management pre-litigation process.
Joseph is an active FINRA arbitrator and an adjunct professor at St. John’s University Law School where he teaches trial advocacy.
Awards & Accolades
- New York City Family Court Legal Services Project - Pro Bono Service Award
- New York Law Journal - Two time finalist in Journal’s Fiction Writing contest
- Safe Horizon’s Families of Homicide Victim’s Program - Keynote Speaker National Victims Rights Week
- Garden City Fire Department - Cited for Bravery in the rescue of two elderly victims of an apartment building fire
News & Insights
News & Alerts
- Alert, Financial Institutions Law Alert, 05.07.2021
- Firm News, Financial Institutions Law Alert, 04.29.2021
- Alert, Financial Institutions Law Alert, 03.11.2021
- Alert, Financial Institutions Law Alert, 03.09.2021
- Alert, Financial Institutions Law Alert, 01.05.2021
- Bressler, Amery & Ross Expands with Hiring of Financial Services Principal and Private Wealth CounselFirm News, 04.15.2020
Speaking Engagements & Events
- Webinar, 06.30.2021
- Speaking Engagement, 03.10.2021
- Webinar, 08.12.2020
- Webinar, 05.20.2020
Associations & Organizations
- Member, New York State Magistrates Association
- Member, Lake Owassa Community Association, Insurance Committee
- Member, Volunteer and Exempt Fireman’s Association Garden City
Areas of Practice
- St. John’s University School of Law, J.D., 1991
- St. John’s University, B.S. Journalism, 1988
- New York
- New Jersey