Mary Jo Cantu is an attorney at Bressler, Amery & Ross. Mary Jo has more than twenty years of experience in trial, arbitration and appellate matters. She is licensed to practice in Texas state courts, the Southern and Northern Districts of Texas, the Fifth Circuit, and the United States Supreme Court.
Prior to joining Bressler, Mary Jo was Senior Counsel in the appellate section of Locke Lord. She started her career in the litigation section of Gardere in Dallas, and then moved to Houston where she handled litigation and appellate matters at Hutcheson & Grundy.
Mary Jo is a 1991 graduate of The University of Texas School of Law. She received undergraduate degrees in English and Finance from Southern Methodist University in 1988. Mary Jo grew up in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. She is a member of the State Bar of Texas, The Houston Bar Association, and serves on the Unauthorized Practice of Law Committee of the State Bar of Texas.
Awards & Accolades
- Selected to the list of Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent lawyers
No aspect of this or any advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. A description of the award methodologies can be found here.
Mary Jo has experience representing corporate clients in the securities, financial and other industries in their disputes with their customers, competitors and employees. She has handled numerous business tort disputes such as breach of fiduciary duty, tortious interference with contract, and theft of trade secrets. She focuses on summary judgment and appellate proceedings. Mary Jo believes in finding the most economical and practical solutions for her clients.
News & Insights
News & Alerts
- Firm News, 08.03.2020
Associations & Organizations
- The Houston Bar Association
- Texas Supreme Court Historical Society
Get to Know Mary Jo
Get to Know Mary Jo
Mary Jo enjoys travel, birdwatching, and cooking with wine.
Areas of Practice
- Business & Commercial Litigation
- Financial Institutions
- Financial Institutions Enforcement Defense
- Financial Institutions Internal Investigations
- Financial Institutions Litigation and Arbitration
- FINRA Employment Arbitrations
- Labor & Employment Law
- Retail Client Relationships
- Senior & Vulnerable Investor Group
- The University of Texas School of Law, Austin, Texas, 1991
- Southern Methodist University, 1988
- BA: English
- BBA: Finance
- State Bar of Texas
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Texas
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court