Bressler’s financial crime practice focuses on anti-money laundering, anti-bribery and corruption and sanctions.
We are uniquely positioned to advise financial institutions and others on anti-money laundering programs because the head of our financial crime compliance practice had hands-on program experience when she worked in-house for a global financial institution for several years focusing exclusively on financial crime compliance. As a result, our lawyers not only advise on the legal requirements, they offer practical advice on implementation and best practices. When things go wrong, Bressler’s attorneys represent financial institutions and compliance personnel during regulatory investigations and enforcement proceeding stemming from anti-money laundering program deficiencies. In addition, our attorneys have experience with cutting-edge anti-money laundering topics such as banking cannabis companies and cryptocurrency exchanges.
- Comprehensive program design and establishment, including for banking marijuana-related businesses
- Customized controls and written policies and procedures
- Advice on Know Your Customer and Customer Due Diligence
- Automated monitoring vendor selection and design
- Suspicious activity, Currency Transaction and other reports.
- International client risk issues
- Risk Assessments and Independent Audits
- Examinations, investigations and enforcement defense
- Remediation of audit or regulator findings
Anti-Bribery and Corruption
The US Department of Justice and US Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) have made the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) a top priority and they vigorously prosecute violations. As a result, it is critical that financial institutions, publicly traded companies and others have strong FCPA compliance programs and swiftly investigate any possible violations. We offer a range of FCPA legal and compliance services.
- Establishment of FCPA compliance program
- Customized controls, policies and procedures
- Internal FCPA investigations
- Transactional due diligence
- SEC inquiries, investigations and enforcement proceedings
The U.S. government through the Office of Foreign Asset Control (OFAC) aggressively regulates and enforces economic sanctions. Bressler’s financial crime practice advises on OFAC requirements, compliance programs and assists companies and persons who need to engage in prohibited transactions.
- Advice on the ever-changing sanctions landscape and licenses permitting otherwise prohibited transactions
- Comprehensive sanctions program design and establishment
- Customized controls, written policies and procedures
- Applications for specific and/or general OFAC licenses
- OFAC Voluntary Self-Disclosures
- Export Controls
- Alert, 12.05.2019
- Alert, 05.20.2019
- Publication, Corporate Compliance Insights, 05.30.2018
- Long Awaited Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Customer Due Diligence Requirements for Financial InstitutionsAlert, 04.05.2018
- Publication, Westlaw Journal, 03.16.2018
- Anti-Money Laundering Programs Included in the SEC’s 2018 National Exam Program Examination PrioritiesAlert, 02.09.2018
- FINRA on Anti-Money Laundering Program Deficiencies in its First-Time Report on Examination FindingsAlert, 12.08.2017