“My goal is to provide high quality legal service and aggressive advocacy within a cost-effective and common sense approach.”
David Donahue is an experienced litigator representing clients in individual matters and class actions filed all over the country. David has handled wide variety of complex cases including product liability, commercial litigation, and state and local tax litigation while developing a specialty in insurance and financial services litigation.
He regularly represents life, health and disability insurers in contestable claim, bad faith, sales practice, fraud, interpleader, agent dispute, STOLI, 412(i)/419 and ERISA litigation matters filed all over the country. He also routinely represents property, casualty and commercial insurance carriers in claim and coverage disputes. He is a member of the Association of Life Insurance Counsel and is frequent speaker on insurance industry trends and litigation topics. David has an AV Rating with Martindale-Hubbell and has been listed as an Alabama Super Lawyer in insurance law since 2012.
Outside of the office, David is active in his community and currently serves as a member of the Board of Directors of Red Mountain Theatre Company and The Literacy Council. He is an avid music and college sports fan and enjoys spending time with his wife, three children and two dogs.
- Recently obtained a “zero award” on behalf of a major life insurance company following two week arbitration involving claims of breach of contract and tortuous interference with business relationship brought by a large independent insurance agency.
- Currently representing several property insurers and managing large docket of first party property claim matters filed throughout Florida.
- Currently representing the City of Birmingham, Alabama in several sales and use tax litigation matters involving allegations of discriminatory taxation.
- Obtained favorable settlement in RICO class action recently filed in the Northern District of Alabama involving sale of limited benefit medical insurance.
- Obtained summary judgment in $5M life insurance reinstatement case involving a life settlement filed in the Central District of California. The decision was recently affirmed by the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Obtained summary judgment in $5M life insurance reinstatement case involving a life settlement filed in the District of Colorado.
- Obtained defense verdict in bad faith claim involving credit life insurance policy in case filed in Raleigh County, West Virginia.
- In one of the first favorable cases for the insurance industry, obtained summary judgment in multi-million dollar stranger owned life insurance case filed in the Northern District of Georgia. The decision was later affirmed by the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Achieved favorable legal precedent for life insurance industry in stranger owned life insurance matter filed in the Northern District of Indiana by obtaining ruling allowing company to dispute claim made after the policies contestability period on basis of lack of insurable interest.
- Obtained dismissal of two putative class actions pending in Alabama and Mississippi related to premiums charged for cancer indemnity policies.
- Obtained dismissal of putative class action filed in the Middle District of Alabama involving rates charged for property insurance policies.
- August 15, 201825 Bressler Attorneys Recognized by Best Lawyers in America 2019
Congratulations to the following Bressler attorneys for inclusion in the Best Lawyers in America 2019 edition. Cynthia Borrelli (Insurance Law) and Jed Marcus (Labor… Read more
- November 8, 201712 Bressler Attorneys Recognized by Mid-South Super Lawyers in 2017
Bressler, Amery & Ross, P.C. is pleased to announce that seven firm attorneys have been selected to the 2017 Mid-South Super Lawyers list and five firm attorneys wer… Read more
- August 15, 2017Best Lawyers in America 2018 Recognizes Bressler Attorneys
Bressler, Amery & Ross, P.C. is pleased to announce that 26 firm attorneys have been selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2018 list, one of the leg… Read more
- November 9, 2016Bressler Attorneys Named to Super Lawyers' Top Listings
Bressler, Amery & Ross, P.C. is pleased to announce that 13 lawyers have been named to Super Lawyers' Top Listings. Two lawyers have been recognized among the Top 5… Read more
- April 1, 20164 Bressler Attorneys Named 2016 'Top Attorney' By Birmingham Magazine
Bressler, Amery & Ross is pleased to announce that four attorneys have been recognized by Birmingham Magazine in its 2016 “Top Attorneys” issue. Janell M. Ahnert –… Read more
- April 30, 201512 Bressler Attorneys Recognized by Alabama Super Lawyers
Bressler, Amery & Ross, P.C. is pleased to announce that eight firm attorneys have been selected to the 2015 Alabama Super Lawyers list and four attorneys were selec… Read more
- January 5, 2015Bressler Welcomes David Donahue and Donnie Winningham to the Alabama Office
BIRMINGHAM, AL, January 5, 2015 - Bressler, Amery & Ross, P.C. is pleased to welcome David P. Donahue to the firm as a principal and Donald F. Winningham, III as cou… Read more
- April 13, 2016Life, Health, Disability and ERISA Seminar
David Donahue will speak on "Growing Trends in Data Mining and Predictive Modeling in the Life Insurance Industry" at DRI's annual Life, Health, Disability and ERISA… Read more
- December 15, 2014Defense Research Institute's "Strategies for Defending and Managing Punitive Damage Claims"
Principal David Donahue will be a speaker for the Defense Research Institute's webinar, "Strategies for Defending and Managing Punitive Damage Claims." The webinar i… Read more
- September 10, 2014Growing Trends in Data Mining and Predictive Modeling in Life Insurance Industry
Principal David Donahue will be a speaker at the National Alliance of Life Companies (NALC) Fall Conference in Ashville, NC on September 10, 2014. He will take part … Read more
- May 5, 2014"Document Check up: How to Give Your Documents a Clean Bill of Health"
Principal David Donahue will be a speaker at the Association of Home Office Underwriters (AHOU) Annual Conference in Indianapolis, Indiana on May 5, 2014. He will ta… Read more
- February 21, 2014AIG Underwriting Symposium, "Litigation Update"
Principal David Donahue will be a speaker at the AIG Underwriting Symposium in Houston Texas on February 21, 2014. He will take part in the panel titled, "Litigation… Read more
- April 10, 2017BHM BIZ Quotes David Donahue: "Coffee with Tom Coan and David Donahue"
Bressler Principal David Donahue was quoted in the BHM BIZ article "Coffee with Tom Coan and David Donahue."… Read more
- July 15, 2015AL Set to Become the Latest State to Amend its Insurance Holding Company Act Regulations to Maintain NAIC Accreditation
Insurance Law Alert… Read more
- May 6, 2015Recent Eighth Circuit Opinion Limits Insurers' Ability to Challenge STOLI Policies on the Basis of Insurable Interest
Insurance Law Alert… Read more
Awards & Honors
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent Rating
- Recognized in Mid-South Super Lawyers, 2012-2017
- Recognized in Birmingham Magazine, Top Attorneys, 2016
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America®, 2018, 2019