Leonel Peraza is a principal in the firm’s Miami office whose practice includes securities, financial services and insurance litigation. He focuses his practice primarily in the representation of broker-dealers and registered representatives in sales practice and employment disputes in state and federal court, and in arbitration proceedings before the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA).
Leo has experience defending corporate clients in complex commercial litigation, including class actions, in both state and federal court, as well as in regulatory investigations. He also has experience defending class action claims brought against debt collectors under the federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA), and insurance companies in first-party property litigation.
Leo is a member of Bressler's Senior and Vulnerable Investor Group. The lawyers in this group have a shared interest in providing counsel to corporate clients who confront issues affecting seniors.
Leo graduated magna cum laude from the University of Miami School of Law where he participated in the inaugural class of the Investors Rights Clinic, an organization dedicated to the pro bono representation of investors in securities arbitration claims against broker-dealers before FINRA. He also earned awards for the highest grades in his Commercial Law I, Federal Income Tax and Corporate Tax courses. Prior to law school, Leo graduated cum laude from Florida International University School of Business with a double major in Finance and International Business.
News & Insights
News & Alerts
- Firm News, 01.04.2021
- Firm News, 08.29.2018
- Firm News, 09.04.2012
Articles & Publications
- Publication, Thomson Reuters, 01.21.2021
- Alert, 09.30.2019
- Alert, 05.2019
- SEC Proposes "Regulation Best Interest" Increasing the Obligations Owed by Broker-Dealers and Investment Professionals to Their Retail CustomersAlert, 04.19.2018
- Retaliation For Rejecting Supervisor's Sexual Advance At Private Party Violates The Florida Civil Rights ActAlert, 03.20.2018
- Eleventh Circuit Finds That No Private Right of Action Exists to Sue FINRA for Violations of its Internal RulesAlert, 11.13.2017
- United States Supreme Court Holds that Funds Contained In An Inherited Individual Retirement Account ("IRA") Do Not Qualify As "Retirement Funds" and Therefore Are Not Exempt From A Debtors Bankruptcy EstateAlert, 06.19.2014
- Supreme Court of Florida Holds That The Florida Civil Rights Act Prohibits Discrimination On The Basis of PregnancyAlert, 05.05.2014
- Alert, 05.17.2013
- Publication, CABA Online , 04.01.2013
Associations & Organizations
- American Bar Association
- Cuban American Bar Association (CABA)
- Florida Securities Dealers Association
Areas of Practice
- University of Miami School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude, 2012
- Florida International University School of Business, B.B.A., cum laude, 2008
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida