Louis Mendez is an associate in the firm’s Financial Institutions and Insurance practice groups. He represents companies in all stages of disputes with their customers. From pre-litigation dispute resolution to effective management of discovery to final resolution, Louis works to ensure the most favorable outcome for his clients.
He has experience in a broad range of litigation matters, including defense of securities arbitration and class action matters, defense of insurers in contestable life insurance claims, and other commercial disputes. Louis is also an active participant in the firm’s pro bono efforts, representing a client in asylum proceedings and a client in her efforts to obtain a guardianship for her son.
In law school, Louis interned with a law firm in Mexico City and served as a judicial intern to the Honorable Adalberto Jordan of the United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida, now of the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit. Louis also participated in the Juvenile Justice Clinic, in which he represented juveniles in all stages of delinquency proceedings before the District of Columbia Superior Court.
Awards & Accolades
- Included in list of the Best Lawyers in America®, "Ones to Watch", 2022
- Recognized on the list of Birmingham Business Journal's NextGen: Law, 2021.
- Recognized on the Mid-South Super Lawyers "Rising Stars" List, 2020
No aspect of this or any advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. A description of the award methodologies can be found here.
News & Insights
News & Alerts
- Bressler, Amery & Ross Attorney Louis Mendez Recognized as a Birmingham Business Journal NextGen: Law Award HonoreeFirm News, 09.20.2021
- 44 Bressler Attorneys Recognized By Best Lawyers in America 2022, Including 1 “Lawyer of the Year” and 13 “Ones to Watch”Firm News, 08.19.2021
- Debt Collectors Must Be Mindful of Communications with Third Parties Regarding Consumers in Alabama, Florida, and GeorgiaAlert, Financial Institutions Law Alert, 04.29.2021
- Second Texas Federal Court Holds “Intent to Deceive” Not a Required Element of Claim for Rescission of Life Insurance Policy in Effect for Less Than Two YearsAlert, Insurance Law Client Alert, 12.07.2020
- Firm News, 11.30.2020
- Firm News, 08.20.2020
- Bressler Selected as 2016 Pro Bono Midsize Firm of the Year By Birmingham Bar Volunteer Lawyers ProgramFirm News, 12.05.2016
- Event, 04.28.2016
- Firm News, 02.26.2014
Speaking Engagements & Events
Articles & Publications
- Law.com's Daily Business Review, 08.31.2021
- American Bar Association, 04.01.2021
- Publication, American Bar Association , 11.18.2019
- Follow-Up: House Financial Services Committee Completes First Hearing on Banking for Cannabis BusinessesAlert, 02.15.2019
- Alert, 02.12.2019
- Alert, 02.04.2019
- In 9-0 Decision, Justice Kavanaugh Writes In His First Majority Opinion That Arbitration Is Governed By Contracts, Not JudgesAlert, 01.09.2019
- Alert, 02.28.2018
Associations & Organizations
- Member, Hispanic National Bar Association
- Member, Birmingham Bar Association, Young Lawyers Division
Get To Know Louis
Get To Know Louis
Louis comes from a family of excellent lawyers and judges, and is motivated by his desire to uphold the family tradition.
Outside of the office, he enjoys spending time with his wife Jori and traveling to visit with his family in Miami and Atlanta.
Areas of Practice
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Business & Commercial Litigation
- Creditors’ Rights Litigation
- Financial Institutions
- Financial Institutions Enforcement Defense
- Financial Institutions Litigation and Arbitration
- General Litigation
- Insurance & Healthcare Regulatory Compliance and Transactional
- Insurance Coverage Disputes & Bad Faith Claims
- Life, Health, Disability & ERISA Litigation
- Retail Client Relationships
- Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., 2012
- Duke University, B.A., 2009
- U.S. District Court, District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Alabama
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Alabama
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Alabama
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida