Keith McManus, a principal in the firm’s Environmental Law practice group, is an experienced environmental practitioner, particularly in the areas of Superfund and cost recovery litigation. Keith defends companies in CERCLA matters nationwide, including in some of the largest Superfund sediments cases in the country, both in allocation proceedings and in litigated settings. In addition to his defense work, Keith helps his clients recover their remediation costs from other responsible parties by prosecuting CERCLA and Spill Act cost recovery claims.
Given the significant passage of time that is typically associated with legacy environmental liabilities, a deep dive into the historical record is often critically important and Keith takes pride in using all available historical resources to develop a factual narrative that best positions his clients to defend or prosecute environmental claims. Keith also works closely with technical experts to develop the scientific basis to support clients in allocation and litigation proceedings.
On the transactional side, Keith advises clients concerning state and federal environmental regulatory compliance issues and guides clients through all aspects of site remediation projects. He also drafts environmental provisions for purchase and sale agreements and professional services agreements.
Keith also works to ensure that his clients maximize recovery from their insurers by advising clients on a wide array of complex environmental and general liability insurance issues, including handling claims, coverage disputes, and the allocation of environmental and products liability among insurers and policies.
While at Boston College Law School, Keith was Senior Articles Editor of the Boston College Environmental Affairs Law Review. He received his undergraduate degree from the College of William & Mary.
Awards & Accolades
- Recognized on the New Jersey Super Lawyers "Rising Stars" List, 2010-2013, 2018, 2019, 2020
News & Insights
News & Alerts
- Firm News, 05.21.2021
- Firm News, 03.26.2020
- Firm News, 03.18.2019
- Firm News, 03.19.2018
- Firm News, 03.19.2018
- Firm News, 01.01.2016
- Firm News, 03.28.2013
- Firm News, 03.30.2012
- Firm News, 04.26.2011
- Firm News, 06.14.2010
Speaking Engagements & Events
Articles & Publications
- Spill Act Case Law Update: Private Parties May Bring a Spill Act Contribution Claim Prior to NJDEP Approval of Cleanup PlanAlert, 08.14.2014
- No Direct Liability Between Property Owners and Subcontractors Under CERCLA When The Property Owner Has Paid Its General ContractorAlert, 05.12.2014
- New Jersey Appellate Division Applies Six-Year Statute of Limitation to Spill Act Contribution ClaimsAlert, 08.30.2013
- Boston College Law School, J.D., 2006
- The College of William and Mary, B.A., cum laude, 2002
- New Jersey
- New York
- U. S. District Court, District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of New York