Brian F. Amery has dedicated himself to building a law firm that people respect, trust and have depended upon for nearly four decades. Since co-founding Bressler Amery & Ross, Brian has leveraged his entrepreneurial mindset, business expertise, and legal experience to the benefit of his clients and colleagues. He has also instilled his client-first, business approach to the practice of law onto all of the lawyers who have worked with him to grow the firm from a small boutique in the early 1980s, to the national presence the firm holds today. Brian believes his clients deserve the very best, and strives for the exceptional – every day, in every matter.
As chair emeritus of Bressler, and during his tenure as firm-wide Managing Principal and leader of its Executive Committee, the firm opened five new offices across four states, significantly expanded its practice offerings, and developed and implemented strategies for continued growth and profitability. Under Brian’s strategic direction, Bressler Amery & Ross has formed a national presence for which it has received numerous industry awards, recognitions, and accolades.
Brian has always had an interest in business. At Ohio University, where he received both his undergraduate and MBA degrees, his education focused on finance. After graduating from Georgetown Law, Brian began his legal career in Merrill Lynch’s litigation department, where his passion for the financial services industry and securities litigation began. He has dedicated his entire 40-year career to representing financial services clients.
Brian is a problem-solver. He has developed an in-depth knowledge and understanding of the business and the legal issues which confront the financial industry. Many general counsels rely on his advice and legal counsel in resolving their most difficult problems because they appreciate his practical, businesslike approach in developing solutions for some of their thorniest cases and regulatory matters. Brian also provides clients with risk management counseling on business issues, bringing to bear his insights and experience honed as a former General Counsel and Senior Officer of a commodity trading and brokerage firm.
Clients appreciate Brian’s sound, practical advice, and perspective. Brian’s industry expertise enables his clients to focus on their business, knowing that their legal matters are being handled strategically, efficiently and thoughtfully. This trust provides fruitful collaboration, excellent client service, and strong personal relationships.
Awards & Accolades
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America®, 2020-2021
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent Rating
- Recognized in New Jersey Super Lawyers, 2005-2020
- Recognized in New York Metro Super Lawyers, 2005-2020
- Lead counsel in a potential $500 million litigation exposure resulting from the sale of complex investment products . Developed the overall strategy for litigating and otherwise resolving the litigation, substantially reducing the client’s exposure.
- Successfully tried a matter for 12 days in which the customer sought over $50 million in damages and rescission in connection with the purchase of hundreds of millions of dollars in auction rate securities. The FINRA panel of arbitrators dismissed all damage claims, only requiring the firm to buy back the remaining securities held by the customer which were then trading at a 10% discount to par.
- Lead counsel for client in a six week jury trial involving a $40 million annuity investment.
- Represented client in FINRA firm-wide mutual fund share class investigation.
- Represented client before the SEC in investment adviser investigation.
- Successfully developed the litigation strategy for handling hundreds of cases resulting from the sale of a leverage municipal bond product representing $200 million in potential exposure to the client and successful managing the litigation exposure through selectively trying and settling cases.
- Acted as co-head of a team of outside counsel involved in defending thousands of cases filed against a client and developed the litigation strategy and standardized documentation to facilitate the cost efficient and successful resolution of the mass litigation.
- Successfully handled a number of substantial auction rate securities arbitrations before FINRA for a major Wall Street firm representing over $200 million in exposure.
News & Insights
News & Alerts
- Firm News, 09.29.2020
- Firm News, 08.20.2020
- Firm News, Super Lawyers Magazine , 09.2019
- Firm News, 08.15.2019
- Firm News, 03.18.2019
- Firm News, 09.13.2018
- Firm News, 03.19.2018
- Firm News, 03.19.2018
- Firm News, 09.20.2017
- Firm News, 03.15.2017
- Firm News, 09.21.2016
- Firm News, 03.11.2016
- Firm News, 09.16.2015
- Firm News, 08.19.2015
- Firm News, 08.19.2015
- Event, 07.24.2015
- Firm News, 03.16.2015
- Firm News, 03.17.2014
- Firm News, 09.09.2013
- Firm News, 04.28.2013
- Firm News, 11.14.2012
- Firm News, 03.23.2012
- Firm News, 04.26.2011
- Firm News, 04.21.2010
- Firm News, 04.13.2010
Speaking Engagements & Events
- Speaking Engagement, 03.24.2019-03.27.2019
- Event, Orlando, FL, 03.18.2018-03.21.2018
- Seminar, 06.20.2017
- Event, 03.31.2017
- Event, 02.16.2017
- Event, 06.14.2016
- Event, 05.28.2015
- Event, 03.15.2015
- Speaking Engagement, 03.15.2015
- Event, 10.02.2014
- Webinar, 07.31.2014
- Event, 03.31.2014
- Speaking Engagement, 02.13.2014
- Speaking Engagement, 08.01.2013
- Event, 06.18.2013
- Event, 3/17/13-3/20/13
- Speaking Engagement, 11.14.2012
- Speaking Engagement, 05.03.2012
- Speaking Engagement, 03.26.2012
- Event, 3/18/12-3/21/12
- Speaking Engagement, 03.06.2012
- Speaking Engagement, 09.21.2011
- Speaking Engagement, 06.22.2011
- Speaking Engagement, 06.30.2010
- Speaking Engagement, 05.07.2010
Associations & Organizations
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, New Jersey State Bar Association, Securities Litigation & Regulatory Enforcement Committee
- Member, New York State Bar Association Broker/Dealer Committee
- Former Adjunct Instructor, Ohio University and George Mason University, Corporate Finance and Business Management
- Member, Securities Industry and Financial Markets Association (SIFMA) Compliance and Legal Society
Get to Know Brian
Get to Know Brian
In his spare time, Brian enjoys playing golf, skiing, paddle, and playing tennis. He is a history enthusiast and actively participates in several charitable organizations, especially causes that are aimed at making a big difference in the lives of children in need.
Areas of Practice
- Georgetown University, J.D., 1974
- Ohio University, M.B.A., 1971
- Ohio University, B.A., 1970
- New Jersey
- New York
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second and Third Circuits