Rima Hartman’s practice focuses on labor and employment litigation. When Rima’s clients are faced with an employment-related claim, complaint, or charge, she delivers excellent strategic advice, an aggressive legal defense, and the diplomacy and good judgment needed to address the human dynamics that are invariably at play in such disputes.
Rima represents employers in all types of disputes including discrimination, harassment, and retaliation claims under Title VII, the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and the Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA). She also litigates claims under the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), ADA accommodation issues, as well as wage and hour disputes arising under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA). Rima handles litigation matters in both federal and state courts, as well as arbitrations (primarily in FINRA) and administrative proceedings before the EEOC and its state counterparts.
In addition to her litigation practice, Rima regularly counsels clients on day-to-day employment matters. She also conducts investigations, drafts employee handbooks, reviews employee classification systems, and provides on-site training sessions.
Before joining Bressler, Rima was a shareholder with the law firm of Maynard Cooper, as well as a partner with the law firm of Perkins Coie, L.L.P. in Seattle, Washington. Prior to working at Perkins Coie, Rima served as a law clerk to the Honorable Frank M. Johnson, Jr. in the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit.
A passionate advocate for children and a mother of four, Rima serves on the Children’s Hospital Committee for the Future. In 2012, Rima helped to found Emma’s Circle, which supports the Alabama CASA (Court-Appointed Special Advocates) program by raising awareness regarding the plight of abused and neglected children in Alabama and raising money so that every foster child might have a consistent and effective lay advocate for his/her best interests.
Awards & Accolades
- Selected to the list of The Best Lawyers in America®, 2018-2024
No aspect of this or any advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. A description of the award methodologies can be found here.
- Represented Bank of America in a four plaintiff gender discrimination suit brought first in federal court and then in state court, achieving summary judgment for the employer in both forums
- Represented Bank of America before FINRA in an arbitration brought by an investment banker terminated for misconduct, ending in a complete defense victory
- Successfully defended Merrill Lynch before the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit in an appeal involving the interplay between the retroactivity provision of the Lily Ledbetter Fair Pay Act of 2009, the rules of evidence, and the law regarding released claims
- Defended The Boeing Company in a federal class action brought by engineers alleging race and national origin discrimination and won complete defense jury verdict
News & Insights
News & Alerts
- 52 Bressler Attorneys Recognized by Best Lawyers in America 2024, Including 2 “Lawyer of the Year” and 16 “Ones to Watch”Firm News, 08.17.2023
- 50 Bressler Attorneys Recognized By Best Lawyers in America 2023, Including 1 “Lawyer of the Year” and 17 “Ones to Watch”Firm News, 08.18.2022
- 44 Bressler Attorneys Recognized By Best Lawyers in America 2022, Including 1 “Lawyer of the Year” and 13 “Ones to Watch”Firm News, 08.19.2021
- Firm News, 08.20.2020
- Firm News, 08.15.2019
- Firm News, 08.15.2018
- Firm News, 08.15.2017
- Firm News, 05.05.2015
- Firm News, 01.13.2015
- Firm News, 02.26.2014
- Firm News, 02.03.2014
Speaking Engagements & Events
- Time to Pay Up…Not So Fast: Collecting on Financial Advisors’ Promissory Notes and Defending Associated Claims & CounterclaimsWebinar, 04.14.2021
- Webinar, 11.11.2020
- Webinar, 04.15.2020
- Event, 06.22.2016
- Event, 03.09.2016
- Event, 03.09.2016
Associations & Organizations
- Board Member, Children’s Hospital Committee for the Future
- Founding Member, Emma’s Circle
Areas of Practice
- Washington and Lee University School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude, 1994
- Birmingham-Southern College, B.S., magna cum laude, 1990
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Washington
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Washington
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Alabama
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Alabama