Frederick K. Schoenbrodt, II represents clients in all trusts and estates matters and leads the firm’s Private Client practice.
With more than twenty years of experience as a trust and estate attorney, Fred brings wide-ranging expertise, deep technical knowledge, and simple common sense to the work he does for his clients. He is a thoughtful and reliable counselor to his clients, a person to whom his clients often turn for advice and assistance with some of their most important questions:
- How to best structure their affairs to provide for the people that matter most to them?
- How to construct a meaningful personal, business, or charitable legacy that is impactful and built to last?
- How to fulfill the important fiduciary responsibilities of serving as an executor, or as a trustee, or as a guardian?
The first step in every new matter is a conversation, where the client shares his or her goals, raises concerns, and asks questions. In that first meeting, or sometimes before or after it, Fred will gather the information, often about family and assets, that he needs to best advise the client. With that information in hand, Fred will recommend next steps and discuss costs associated with his recommendations so that the client can make an informed decision about how to proceed. Examples of typical next steps include:
- In estate planning, preparation of draft wills, revocable or irrevocable trusts, powers of attorney, health care directives, or other documents;
- In estate administration, probate of the will and initiation of the process to prepare required tax returns and settle the estate;
- In charitable planning, preparation of draft trusts, organizational documents for foundations or other charities, or applications for tax-exempt status;
- In trust and estate controversies, evaluation of facts, development of strategies, and preparation of pleadings.
Each situation is different, but Fred ensures that every matter is handled with the utmost attention and care.
An active member of the bar, Fred stays abreast of new developments that affect his clients’ interests. He is the current author of New Jersey Estate Planning, Will Drafting and Estate Administration Forms, published by LexisNexis and updated annually. Fred is a trustee of the highly-regarded Community Foundation of New Jersey, established its Legal, Wealth, and Tax Advisory Committee, and serves on its Executive Committee. He is a full member of the U.K.-based Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners and serves as a Vice Chair of the ABA’s International Private Client Committee. He has been recognized in both the Best Lawyers in America and Super Lawyers publications.
In addition to his law degree, Fred holds a Master of Laws (LL.M.) in Taxation from the New York University School of Law. Before entering private practice, he served as an Army judge advocate with the 25th Infantry Division in Hawaii.
Awards & Accolades
- Recognized in Best Lawyers in America, 2020-2021
- Recognized in New Jersey Super Lawyers, 2014-2020
- Recognized in New Jersey Super Lawyers, “Rising Stars,” 2010
News & Insights
- Firm News, 08.20.2020
- Alert, 03.30.2020
- Firm News, 03.26.2020
- Firm News, 08.15.2019
- Firm News, 03.18.2019
- Firm News, 03.19.2018
- Firm News, 03.19.2018
- Firm News, 03.15.2017
- Frederick K. Schoenbrodt, II Joins Bressler, Amery & Ross as Estate Planning and Administration Practice ChairFirm News, 04.21.2016
- Firm News, 03.11.2016
Speaking Engagements & Events
- Speaking Engagement, 05.18.2019
- Speaking Engagement, New Brunswick, NJ, 11.30.2018
- Event, Miami, Florida, 10.27.2017
- Speaking Engagement, 06.29.2017
- Event, 05.17.2017
- Speaking Engagement, 04.07.2017
- Event, 05.12.2016
- Speaking Engagement, 12.16.2015
- Speaking Engagement, 06.30.2015
- Speaking Engagement, 12.10.2014
- Speaking Engagement, 09.06.2014
- Speaking Engagement, 08.20.2013
- Speaking Engagement, 09.06.2012
- Speaking Engagement, 12.06.2011
- Publication, Barron's, 04.01.2020
- The Year in Review, International Private Client Committee chapter, ABA Section of International Law, 2019Publication, The Year in Review, 02.01.2020
- New Jersey Estate Planning, Will Drafting, and Estate Administration Forms, LexisNexis Matthew Bender, 2019 SupplementPublication, 09.15.2019
- The Year in Review, International Private Client Committee chapter, ABA Section of International Law, 2018Publication, The Year in Review, 02.01.2019
- New Jersey Estate Planning, Will Drafting, and Estate Administration Forms, LexisNexis Matthew Bender, 2018 SupplementPublication, 09.15.2018
- Publication, NJ.com, 02.08.2017
- Publication, NJBIZ, 10.31.2016
- Publication, New Jersey Law Journal , 12.17.2015
- Publication, Matthew Bender & Company, Inc. , 01.01.2015
Associations & Organizations
- American Bar Association
- Real Property, Trust and Estate Law Section
- Section of International Law (Vice Chair, International Private Client Committee)
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- Real Property, Trust and Estate Law Section (Board of Consultors, 2015-2019)
- Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP)
- New York State Bar Association
- Trusts and Estates Section
Get to Know Fred
Get to Know Fred
Fred lives with his family in Mendham, New Jersey. He is the proud father of three, including a current Northwestern University Wildcat. He occasionally finds time for fly fishing the trout streams of Pennsylvania and New Jersey.
Areas of Practice
- New York University School of Law, LL.M., Taxation, 2000
- University of Maryland School of Law, J.D., 1995
- Gettysburg College, B.A., 1992
- New Jersey
- New York
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey